Chapter 23

Cuddles pulled Giggles into his lap. They were sitting comfortably on the couch, an old romantic comedy playing soundlessly on the TV. It was getting colder outside, they were both wearing soft pajamas fresh from the dryer. There was a warm mug sitting on the coffee table in front of them– hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. He hugged her closely, nuzzling his nose gently into the nape of her neck.

"You smell so good," he mumbled, wrapping his arms around her waist. He pressed his nose into the back of her head, inhaling her hair deeply.

"Do you like the new shampoo I got you," Cuddles asked, turning her cheek so he could gaze into her eyes. They were tired, soulless. But she smiled.

"I love it," she said softly, her lips were chapped. Dehydrated. She hadn't had much reason to eat or to drink lately.

"I knew you would," he stroked her hair, smiling proudly. Cuddles leaned forward, took the warm mug into his hand. He pressed the rim to her lips, tipped the mug just enough for the warm liquid to slide past her lips and down her throat. Giggles swallowed.

These days, she felt like a doll. Like a fleshy sack with no will, no motivation, and no self. Cuddles moved her, fed her, bathed her, dressed her. He took her on strolls around the lake, but never far out enough to be seen. She barely did anything on her own anymore, and he seemed to like it that way. Whatever it takes, she'd think, to never have to go into that Box again.