Chapter 09

Flaky sat outside of the Cafe, wearing a large-brimmed hat to cover her face. The Cafe was closed today, Petunia and Giggles were on their way for a girl's date. Flaky actually felt excited. She'd finally mustered up the courage to leave her house and she'd arrived several minutes early, not wanting to keep her friends waiting. They would hate her if she was late; they would hate her and never want to see her again.

She sat looking down at her feet, trying to make herself as small, as invisible as possible, so as to not draw any unwanted attention. For Flaky, any attention was unwanted attention. Ironically, her small frame, stiff and still as a statue, attracted several, suspicious glances from passersby. To her blissful ignorance, she didn't notice— her brimmed hat provided a perfect cover, and she never moved her eyes from her feet.

"Good morning, Flaky," Giggles smiled, tapping her on the shoulder. Flaky hadn't heard her footsteps and screamed, loudly. She jumped up, seeing both Giggles and Petunia there, and a crowd of worried onlookers.

Immediately Flaky blushed, looking down again, her hands shaking, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to yell... sorry, so sorry," she apologized profusely, eyes closed tightly.

"Hey you're okay," Petunia laughed, pulling Flaky into a big hug. She calmed down slightly, and Giggles joined in on the group hug.

"I'm so happy you're here," Petunia said, pulling away. She swiped her hands over her dress to clear any dust or dirt, satisfied that her gloves were still perfectly white afterward. "We haven't seen you in so long," she reached into her dress pocket and pulled out a large, silver key. She unlocked the Cafe and they walked inside, leaving the "CLOSED" sign up on the door. Flaky was grateful for the privacy.

"I'm sorry... it's just, after Flippy..." Flaky began, taking a seat at one of the round tables near the back, away from any windows. "I needed to be by myself."

"We understand," said Petunia, holding her hand. "We're just glad you're doing alright."

Giggles made her way behind the counter as Petunia and Flaky chatted. She took a large, strawberry cake from the fridge and started cutting them all slices. Her phone buzzed:

Cuddles (10:12) Good morning, beautiful ❤️ 

Cuddles (10:12) Sorry I couldn't come see you this morning, work needed me

Cuddles (10:12) Are you with Flaky and Petunia now? I hope you're having a great time ❤️

Cuddles (10:13) It's JUST Flaky and Petunia, right? LOL.

Cuddles (10:13) I love you! Wait for me there, I'll come pick you up once I'm out of work.

Giggles stared at her phone as it buzzed text message after text message, her stomach began to churn. Her fingers moved on their own.

Giggles (10:15) Yes, my love. I'll wait for you here.

She put her phone away as Flaky and Petunia glanced her way. During the early stages of the curse, they'd tried to call for help. Many townsfolk had family outside of Happy Town, but any time they dialed or texted— nothing. error. dial tone. This number is no longer in service. It was like the rest of the world no longer existed.

Giggles walked back to the table, placing a delicately cut slice of cake in front of each of her friends.

"What about you Giggles," Flaky asked, pulling her plate towards herself timidly. "How are you and Cuddles?"

"Oh, we are as happy as ever," Giggles lied, stuffing a fork-full of cake into her mouth to prevent any more words from escaping her lips.

"Don't be shy," Petunia egged her on, shoving a playful elbow into her arm. Just then, Giggles' phone buzzed again. And again. And again. "I bet that's him now," Petunia laughed.

Giggles smiled, shaking her head. "It's probably nothing..."

"Oh it's alright, you can check it," Petunia began to eat her cake. "Handy always gets so worried when I don't answer him back."

You have no idea, Giggles thought, reaching into her pocket again.

Cuddles (10:18) Btw. Let's go on a trip together.

Cuddles (10:18) We haven't been to the lake in forever. I can get us a cabin. Just us.

Cuddles (10:18) We'll go tonight, can't wait. <3

Giggles' stomach dropped again. Petunia peeked over her shoulder, "Ohhh... how spontaneous and romantic," she closed her eyes as if dreaming. "I wish Handy would take me on a trip!"

Giggles didn't say anything, just smiled. 

"Hey Giggles, are you alright? You're more quiet than usual," Flaky asked, bringing Petunia back to Earth.

"Hm? If it's about work, I'll find someone to cover— you don't have to worry."

"It's not that," Giggles shook her head, smiling still. She looked down at her lap, not wanting to deceive her friends with her expression. "I'm very happy to go," she wished they could see through her lie.

Flaky didn't seem convinced, "Sometimes... to save face, I would smile," her voice was very quiet. "Even after Flippy hurt me, or said things I didn't like... I would just smile, so no one thought bad things about him," Flaky said.

Petunia remained quiet, looking at her confused.

"Giggles, I recognize that smile," she finished, reaching out to take her hand over the table. Giggles looked up at her in shock. She was momentarily speechless, taken aback by the sudden flash of hope that filled her to the brim.

She'd been able to see her smile so clearly, so perfectly.

"That's a big accusation Flaky..." Petunia chimed in once Giggles didn't say anything.

Flaky immediately shrunk away, "Sorry... sorry, I didn't mean that Cuddles would... sorry."

"It's okay!" Giggles said, suddenly taking Flaky's hands and leaning over the table with such speed that her chair fell backward. "I'm so happy!" Giggles' eyes were uncannily wide.

The expression on her face scared Flaky and she leaned all the way back in her seat, Petunia looked at them, bewildered.

Giggles was elated, overjoyed, that Flaky was able to catch her lie. She wasn't able to outright say it, the damned Tree wouldn't let her. All she had to do was agree with Flaky and it would all be over. I just want to agree, please let me agree with her!

But all she could say was, "I'm happy, I'm happy, I'm so happy," over and over again, and hope that Flaky got the message. Giggles stared deeply into Flaky's eyes, unblinking; she repeated herself as much as she could before Flaky began to scream.

"Giggles, stop it you're freaking her out!" Petunia yelled over Flaky's panicked shrieking, prying Giggles back down into her chair and holding her there. As soon as she let her go, Flaky jumped out of her chair, still screaming. She ran straight towards the glass double doors, exiting the building and sprinting out of sight.

"Flaky, wait!" Petunia called, but she was gone. She gave Giggles a stern look, "What the Hell was that about?"

Just as the double doors began to close, someone stepped between them. Petunia turned as the bells chimed, "Hey, we're closed—", but she stopped.

In stepped Sniffles, clipboard and pen in hand, glasses fogged.

"I was told I could find you here," he said, stepping into the Cafe. He didn't look up from the clipboard, still writing God knows what. He looked in the direction Flaky had run, jotted something down. His voice was high and nasally, and he pushed up his glasses with one finger.

"Giggles, yes? I need you to come with me."