Chapter 2: The Fateful Audition

The second Boutarou arrived home, he stripped off his uniform and changed into more comfortable clothes. "Finally! I'm done with that stupid school, stupid Sayaka, and this stupid house!"

"What's so stupid about the house?" His little sister held a bag of chips with an unamused frown.

"Hana... You should know. Every teenager longs to leave their house and experience the college life."

She rolled her eyes, short hair bobbing against her neck. "You better not leave us like dad..."

"Don't compare me to that geezer!" He shot up from his bed, opened a drawer, and threw another shirt into the suitcase at his feet. "I'm finally going to figure out what I want to do! And besides, dad comes home for... Mom's birthday. Sometimes. I'll definitely come back more than he does... I guarantee it!"

"Hmm... I guess I'll believe you for now. What're you going to major in?"

"I dunno. Something music related. With my grades and skill, any major will be a piece of cake. Sayaka will be begging to have me back... But no matter what she says, my answer will be no. Sweet sweet social life, here I come!"

"I personally think you're the one who won't be able to live without Sayaka."

"What?! I'll bet you twenty bucks she'll come crying to me after a month."

"You're on."

"Good. Now would you quit being so nosey and let me pack?"

She crunched a potato chip and sauntered away. "Fine."

As soon as his suitcases were filled to the brim, he did one last sweep of his room. There were a few awards he had won for simply being Sayaka's accompanist left on his dresser. He never thought much of awards. Having them displayed felt cool, but that didn't mean he was proud of them. They weren't... really his.

I think I'll try a solo career first... I wonder if I could outclass her. I'd love to see the shocked look on her face when I get to perform a concerto before she does.

And in those few seconds, Boutarou decided his major.

. . .

Exams for his chosen college were held back in January. But now that he was aiming for the music department instead of the general education program, Boutarou had to pass an audition.

On the fateful morning, he walked down the familiar streets of his neighborhood, passing by the old vending machine that gave you milk tea no matter what button you pressed. His button up shirt and black tie gave his handsome features an edge, but he hated that stupid last button at his collar and loosened his tie with a smirk.

Even if she does come crying back to me, I'll never let her button that stupid top button again.

As he passed the hospital where Mrs. Umari worked, a twinge of nostalgia gripped his chest. If he broke his arm, Mrs. Umari wasn't going to come all the way to Tokyo to patch him up. Not only was she the best and most gentle nurse he'd ever encountered, she was familiar and made the hospital feel like not so bad of a place.

He ducked his head, remembering the white walls and mint green curtains, all the times he'd sat on that uncomfortable wooden stool and watched over Sayaka, making sure she stayed in her room instead of running away the second a nurse besides her mother came in to treat her.

She got admitted for a bad case of hay fever every year. And nearly every year, they played a makeshift game of hide and seek at the hospital. She had a routine way of hiding that he finally figured out... Switching places to avoid being caught until she was too weak to move.