Chapter 42: Memories

Sayaka didn't even notice Katsumi had hold of her hand as she stared through the window and past the racing scenery. Her mind was elsewhere, everything before her nothing but a bad and terrible dream.

Boutarou muttered her name in between kisses. One hand cradled her head and pulled her closer, the other ran over her bare skin, pulsing a tingling electricity to the most sensitive places on her body.

Her childhood crush. The one person on earth she thought she would never allow herself to have. Who could never love her for the terrible person she was. After all of these years, she was finally able to kiss him. To hold him in her arms. To tell him she loved him. To be honest with herself.

And just like that. He was gone.

She was somewhere else. Somewhere unfamiliar. Floating out into the wide world like a balloon, endlessly drifting, never finding someone to take the string and pull her back out of the sky.

This feeling was familiar. It was the same as the time she finished crying after her father died. Numbness. The loss of everything. And the one who pulled her back into the realm of the living was Boutarou.

Boutarou with his bright smiles and teasing idiocy. Boutarou with his worried faces and side glances, always checking to make sure she was ok. His strong will and aloof attitude. That stupid dyed blonde hair and enchanting deep blue eyes. Well defined muscles and nimble hands. Soft lips, smooth skin, large back, warm chest. 

Memories of him filled her mind with each new car they passed by.

"Sayaka! Come on, you can't stay in here forever... I know, let's get Hojicha ice cream! It's your favorite. Come here!" He took her hand with a smile and tugged her to her feet. "Jeez, when did you get so light? If I let go of your hand, a gust of wind could blow you away."

"What was that... stupid Boutarou..."

They were the first words she spoke for a week after mourning the death of her father. It was the first time she went out into the sun. The first time she walked, or moved. She thought she was going to cry. She would have, if he let go of her hand. But little eight year old him held it the entire time, even as she looked on sadly at her ice cream. And he encouraged her to eat it. That was the start... The start of everything.

Her mind took her back again.

Curtains billowing against the open window of the practice room. Sixth grade. The sunlight filtered through the glass. She saw someone do it in the hallway... Touch their lips to someone else's. Her heart fluttered at the idea.

Boutarou slept heavily. Especially when he fell asleep in the sun. His white uniform shirt had the top button unbuttoned, as usual, against dress code. I'll just fix it, was what she thought to herself as she approached him, crouching down.

But as her hands did the button, her eyes caught his lips. Parted ever so slightly. A breeze ruffled her hair. And she leaned forward without thinking.

Soft. Warm. A subtle scent of Yakisoba bread. Her eyes fluttered open, backing up. Blush covered her face.

He sucked in a breath through his nose and blinked open his sleepy blue eyes, looking around the room.

"Sayaka?"

"Come on, it's time to practice." Her back was towards him as she unpacked her bass. "Do you know how long you've been asleep for?"

"Oh... Sorry..."

"D-Did you feel anything just now? In your sleep?"

"Feel anything? What are you talking about? I guess... The breeze and the sunlight felt kinda nice so I just... Ah! My button! You did this, didn't you," he muttered, standing to his feet and undoing two. "Ha! There. Two buttons! Try to button me back up now, stupid Sayaka," he said, sticking out his tongue at her.