Chapter 29: Sayuri's Scheme

Sayuri stalked down the street next to Happari, dialing her father on the phone. If Shiki wanted evidence, evidence he would get. She already devised the perfect way to get some. And it would give her a little piece of what she wanted as well. Five rings later, Mr. Kurata finally picked up the phone.

"Daddy?"

"Yes darling?"

"You said you wanted me to blackmail Boutarou-kun, didn't you?"

Her father's somewhat evil cackle told her that he was already slightly high on some drug. "Why yes, yes I did. Did you find his whereabouts? I was told he was on a leave of absence from the college."

"Of course I did. We're practically dating... He just refuses to do anything romantic with me and I'm getting tired. Will you pleaaase give me some of that... What do you call it, Kit-Kat? I think it will help me give him the little push he needs."

"Oh darling, I'd give you as much as you wanted. But first... I need you to tell me where he is. You see, it won't do me any good if you only get what you want."

"Of course," she said sweetly. "He isn't that good of an accompanist anyways. It just frustrates me when I can't wrap a single silly boy around my little finger... After I'm through with him, you can do whatever you want."

"Splendid!" Mr. Kurata was giddy with glee. "I failed with his daughter and wife, but perhaps his son will be of some use... Come by later to pick some up. I just got an order delivered to the house yesterday, so there is plenty to spare. How many vials do you need? One? Two in case the first attempt fails?"

"Two should be plenty. Thank you daddy! You're the best."

With a simple click of the red hang up button, Sayuri was on her way to Clown McBurger to propose a deal to Shiki.

. . .

Mitsuo stepped out of Isuke's "secret" hideout and donned a beanie and some sunglasses. It was a bit early, but he was meeting Shiki at Clown McBurger to discuss a few things. And having his hair and eyes on full display would draw too much attention.

He was on his way to deliver a new upgrade to Shiki's pain medicine. The shots had been working, but not quite efficiently as they could be. Numbness was spreading throughout his entire arm instead of just the affected area. These new shots would supposedly fix that.

There was also some sort of favor that Shiki needed. But something about his voice betrayed that Mitsuo wouldn't readily agree to whatever this proposition was.

He boarded the train and had to cover his mouth to hide his smile, remembering the flushed look on Sayaka's face as she introduced herself, and the way Boutarou had busied himself with his back positioned to him just a few moments before he opened the door.

For once in his life, he would have something to bring to a conversation other than confidential information. Although, this information was technically also confidential. To Boutarou and Sayaka that was.

He zoned off for most of the train ride, annoyed by the loud scraping of passenger's shoes against the floor, their whispers to one another, the conflicting music and podcasts in people's headphones... It was only loud to him of course, for his parent had enhanced his hearing specifically for the sake of eavesdropping.

He had used a dog as a test subject. The poor thing was completely dissected afterwards, but Mitsuo was used to seeing dissected things in his father's lab. And thanks to the dog's sacrifice, he now had hearing just as good, if not better, than it had when it was alive.

An hour later, the announcer's voice reverberated over the loudspeakers and through his earplugs. "Please stand back. The train doors are opening."

The walk to Clown McBurger through the crowded station didn't take too long. He was soon met with sliding glass doors and the smell of grease. For the sake of appearances, he bought a small fry and sat at the booth behind their usual one, hood up. Maybe he could startle Shiki for once.