Chapter 44: Life and Death

Shiki let the radio blare with the front windows down, the tips of his ears reddening further every time he caught the sound of a low grunt or a sharp intake of breath. But rather than being entirely flustered by the situation, he drove rather normally, guilt weighing heavy on his chest.

He knew something. Something he didn't tell Boutarou. And whether or not it was a good decision to hide it still remained undetermined...

They pulled into the parking lot and Shiki stopped the car. He put it in park and rolled up the windows. But rather than turning off the ignition, he opened the door and left the radio blaring.

"Get out when you're done," he called over the booming speakers. "We're back at the hospital... And there's something I neglected to tell you that could use attention sooner rather than later."

With that, he closed the door and leaned his back up against the car, tired, his shoulder throbbing. It wasn't healing properly, he knew. And as soon as this was all over, he was going to have to stop taking the numbing medicine and get proper treatment.

"Sayuri and Katsumi were taken in for questioning," said Mitsuo, going around to the driver's side of the car.

"I guess Mr. Utsushima won't be going to the station to rescue them until tomorrow."

Mitsuo stared blankly off into the distance. "I heard Katsumi speak up for Boutarou on his way into handcuffs. He explained the situation with a few words. The police just let him be despite witnessing him beat Mr. Kurata bloody."

"...That's surprising. I've gotta say, thorough all this, my opinion of Katsumi has really changed."

"Mine as well... Although I don't know if Boutarou can say the same."

Boutarou finally stepped out, lips parted and swollen, hair tussled and messy. Sayaka's shirt was rather crumpled and the front of Boutarou's black pants glistened with a strange sheen. Shiki felt like he had to bring them new clothes before they even set foot in the hospital.

"Wait here."

Turning off the ignition and popping the trunk, he procured a suit jacket, black pants, and a white button-up shirt. Luckily, his father always kept a disguise on hand. It wasn't the best, but it was better than one of them going shirtless and the other wearing nothing but a shirt.

He handed the pants and suit jacket to Sayaka, apologizing for the size, and the shirt to Boutarou, telling him to make sure he buttoned it.

"Shiki," he breathed, not taking his eyes off of Sayaka. "Why are we back at the hospital? Isn't it dangerous here?"

He sighed. "The police and Isuke's family cleared the area of Mr. Kurata's men. But I brought you back because there's something... Someone, you might want to see. While you're here. Because if you don't, you may never get the chance to see them again."

Boutarou's hands faltered as he worked at the buttons. "You don't mean..."

He looked off to the side. "I'll leave it up to you whether or not she sees him."

Boutarou's eyes widened under his furrowed eyebrows. He was frozen mid-button, staring past the gravel pavement.

He turned to Sayaka slowly.

"...Boutarou?"

Before she could ask anything, he closed his eyes. And then he focused on taking care of her appearance.

He made sure the suit jacket was securely on her shoulders, despite its massive size. He untucked her long black hair and smoothed it down as best as he could, gently fixing loose strands with his good hand.