Chapter 19: A Kiss of Confirmation

The tunnel stretched on for what felt like ages. It let out in another underground room, the smell of must and mold penetrating their noses.

Boutarou slowly released Sayaka's hand after pulling her gently behind him, grapevining up the new set of stairs, knife in hand. He had, unbeknownst to his father, been trained on how to use a knife during martial arts lessons. Another door led them into an alleyway, finally allowing their lungs to breathe the fresh air they were craving.

Isuke was outside, back against the concrete wall, arms folded. "Took you long enough."

"It wasn't like we could run... Where are we?"

"Just outside of Roppongi," he said, kicking off the wall. "You walked a few blocks underground... And by a few, I mean at least 20. Here."

Boutarou put the knife in his pocket. "Where am I supposed to put it? I can't exactly walk around with this thing in my hands, you know."

Isuke held out his hand to take it back. "That didn't stop you from walking out of that tunnel with a knife in icicle grip ready to stab someone. Maybe I shouldn't give it to you. You probably don't know how to fight anyways."

That irked him. From his father, it was understandable. He hadn't reacted properly. It really could have lead to their death, and Shiki was in fact more experienced. But he wasn't about to let his fighting skills be insulted. 

Boutarou snatched the gun back, locking Isuke's arms against his back and shoving him against the wall. It wasn't that he didn't trust Isuke. But he also didn't want to be stuck defenseless, especially if they were going into a situation where long range fighting would put them at an advantage. "I can fight too you know."

Isuke glared back at him under unamused eyelids. "Yes yes, you're very strong. Now give me the gun so I can show you how to carry it... You should take the safety off just in case. If you waste even a second fumbling it while you're attacked, it could cost you your life."

Boutarou gulped and reluctantly handed over the pistol, watching cautiously as he undid the safety mechanism. When Isuke exposed the bare skin of his back to the cold air, he shivered and tried to shove his hoodie back down. "What are you--"

The cold of the metal gun touched his spine, barrel sliding into the waistband of his pants.

"That feels so wrong."

"But no one will see it there, even if your patted down, they're unlikely to feel it. It's easy access, and you won't accidentally shoot yourself. Trust me, that's where it's safest." Isuke slapped his back and walked forward. "Oh, I have something for Sayaka too."

From his backpack, he procured a plastic bag containing a few pills and a small bottle of water. "Painkillers."

She gratefully took them in her hands and hurried to work the plastic bag open.

"Shiki's mom's orders. Figured yours would be wearing off about now... Now lets hurry and get you two to an internet café so I can go rescue your idiotic father."

The streets were crowded and noisy in comparison to the alleyway they were been in before. People brushed past their shoulders, hurrying in and out of buildings, rushing to make the next train.

One man bumped especially hard into Sayaka, knocking her back into Boutarou who had positioned himself behind her for this exact reason. The man apologized, ducked his head, and continued on his way. But the amount Sayaka winced told him that she had just furthered one of her injuries.

Crinkling his nose at the man, Boutarou felt another sharp pain in his chest. He leaned Sayaka back into an upright position and glanced down at her. She looked at least five times more tired than she'd been five minutes ago. "Do you want me to walk in front of you instead?"