Chapter 32: Kit-Kat

The car ride to the music shop was silent.

Boutarou gazed out the back window, the scenery blurring into one smudged image. He kept telling himself that this was for the good of the world. That he was doing something important. But he wanted to desperately to be selfish.

Sayaka was going to get worse without him there. He knew those eyes. The eyes that meant she was going to shut down. The eyes that meant she would slowly become unable to move, unable to speak, unable to do anything but wallow in grief and despair. This was practically the mirror image of what her father had done to her, but this time, she knew about it before hand.

He told Mr. Umari he would protect her... Some job he was doing.

"We're here."

The entire hour passed by in what seemed like no time at all. Boutarou made sure his hood was secure on his head, wiped his wet face, and put his hand on the car door handle. But he couldn't open it.

"Boutarou... It's just practicing. Just like you used to at Happari."

He found an incredible grip strength within his limp hand. "Shiki... You of all people should know that's not true."

"We'll make sure nothing happens to you," said Mr. Nakagawa, opening the door from the outside. "You can go back to Sayaka as soon as this is over."

"But what if--"

"If you keep imagining things, they might actually happen. It's bad luck. Take it one step at a time, and do something about it when the situation arises." Mr. Nakagawa took his arm and pulled him out of the car. "If you're going to be this out of sorts, Sayuri might call off the deal. Come on. You're stronger than her. You'll be in the room alone together, so if anything happens, just knock her out and call for help. Sayaka will be fine. Let's go."

He slid off the seat with a knit in his brows and forced himself to pick up his feet as he walked. The last of his tears dripped over his eyes as he steeled himself against the emotional pain, just like he did with the passing of Mr. Umari.

As they neared the music store, Boutarou noticed someone familiar standing outside. A tall, white-haired Russian was arguing with what seemed to be like a security guard.

"You can't come in."

"Why not? It's available to everyone. Unless you purchased the store?"

"It's closed for the day."

"Then why is Sayuri allowed in?"

Boutarou narrowed his eyes and peered through the windows. Sayuri was leaning back against the glass. Her lilac dress hugged her figure, just barely covering the tops of her thighs. A see-through shawl wrapped around her shoulders, giving her the exact same look as the night he saw her as Violet-chan.

He swallowed back the lump in his throat and went up to Mitsuo. "What's going on?"

"Ah. Boutarou. Funny to see you here. I was trying to record myself for midterms, but this man said I wasn't allowed in."

Midterms. The thought had completely slipped his mind. They should have had recording stuff at the college... But he wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to let Mitsuo in.

"Mrs. Yaketsuko recommended this place to me too... Isn't the recording due tomorrow?"

The tall slightly buff man turned his bald head towards Boutarou. "You know each other?"

Boutarou looked right back into the man's sunglasses. "He's in the music division at Happari. He plays the drums... I'm pretty sure this studio has the same drum set as the college. Why can't he go inside?"