33 - Gossip Reaches All Ears, Eventually

Luminous entered Takamagahara, Erii at his side, with a pale look of dread.

It was Y/N who noticed him first. At her post greeting and thanking guests for coming into the club, how he stumbled in battered and bruised. Erii looked like a puppy that had just gotten in trouble, tail between its legs.

If Whale had been first to see his current state, Luminous would've gotten an earful about his improperness. About how someone looking as violent and unruly as he did was not fit to enter Takamagahara.

But Y/N knew Luminous wasn't a fighter, nor was he a violent person. As seen from the purple-black bruises on his knuckles, where she was sure he had fractured each bone. The blood running down his nose and the marks on his face were proof enough that Luminous was on the receiving end of the fight.

In a haste to reach her friend and check for any fatal injuries, Y/N snagged a worker passing by her side to switch places, under the pretense of needing a bathroom break.

She loosened the tie to her apron quickly before throwing it beneath the reception counter, quickly following Luminous and Erii's trail back to the employee room they were given.

The second to notice Luminous' ragged shape was Johann, who was busy entertaining the many women who attempted to woo his heart. His eyes, dawning his brown contact lenses for the sake of not rising suspicion to the customers, flickered up from a woman tugging at his chest for attention. He watched as Luminous pushed past guests like a brute, his walk almost zombie-like with only one destination in mind.

Caesar, blessed with the extra skill Wind Devil, had been occupied telling stories of his travels across the world, only to be interrupted by the sound of ragged and shallow breaths. He tore his gaze away from his audience to follow the sound of discomfort. When his icy blues caught sight of Luminous, staggering to the back employee door, he got up on his feet and excused himself from the crowd. Much to their dismay.

Luminous, on the other hand, had been through what he would describe as the most terrifying experience of his life.

In the back hallway leading to their designated rooms, Luminous opened the door to Erii's room where she walked in without hesitation. Y/N, Johann, and Caesar arrived all in time to watch Luminous shut the door quietly.

"Get some rest, I'll wake you up tomorrow morning," he croaked through the door, nearly breathless.

"Luminous, what happened?" Y/N questioned first, instinctively rushing to his side.

He didn't reply and instead trudged his way to where he shared a room with Caesar and Johann, both of who exchanged concerned glances. They followed him quietly, so as to not disturb Erii, who was supposedly getting ready for bed.

The brunette plopped down on his small twin bed, arms on his knees, hands clasped tightly together.

Y/N knelt down beside him, resting her hand on his forearm. She could feel his bones shake.

"What happened?" Johann asked again.

Through the silence of the room, the only thing any of them could hear was Luminous' shaky breaths. He took a deep breath in, then exhaled, his shoulder loosening up a bit after that breath.

"I took her out to see more of the city," he began, eyes glued to the ground, "everything was going just fine, but then we ran into gangsters. Gangsters that were looking for her on behalf of Hydra,"

"And you got into a fight with them?" Caesar interrupted, shock and confusion evident on all of their faces. Save for Luminous, whose expression was entirely unreadable.