42 - I'll See You In Hell

The soft sound of the balcony door slid open and shut, followed by light footsteps as they approached Y/N perched with her arms resting on top of the railing overlooking the city.

The lukewarm night breeze brushed against her skin and her hair fluttered past her ears. Y/N shuddered lightly, hoping that he hadn't noticed.

"How long do you plan on moping?"

He reached her side in a few strides, leaning over and mirroring her posture slung over the balcony. Y/N glared at him from beneath her lashes.

"Can't I be upset about being betrayed?" she grumbled into the skin of her forearm.

Z huffed, "Of course, but it'd be nice to finally leave this place too. Zero says you won't leave," he watched her closely, intent on finding any sense of regret for leaving her old "friends" behind. "But what's stopping you from leaving Japan with us?"

She considered his question for a long moment but then shrugged her shoulders and kept her gaze downcast. The answer stabbed through her chest and into her heart, twisting and deforming it into nothing but a pitiful mess.

"I just," she paused, hesitant to answer, though she knew Z would get it out of her sooner or later. It was nearly impossible to keep things from him anyway. "I just feel like there's something I still need to do here,"

Z clicked his tongue with disapproval and shook his head, "What could there possibly be left to do? The situation between those brothers is out of your hands, it wasn't your responsibility in the first place!"

Z watched her carefully, wondering if she only wanted to stay for a mere chance of seeing the Ace Team again.

"Don't tell me you want to stay with them?" the words escaped past his lips like a threat as his eyes narrowed at the way she flinched at the mention of the "friends" that betrayed her.

Y/N refused to meet his gaze. Even though his eyes burned through her skin and peered into her soul for an answer, she refused to give in to his manipulation tactics.

She shook her head and averted her gaze to her right, away from Z. Though, he only found it amusing. "It's not that,"

She had said it so firmly that Z almost believed that she really was done with them. That the Ace Team no longer held weight to her decisions. But he wouldn't believe it unless she could look into his eyes and confirm it herself.

There was something darker festering inside of Y/N, something that gnawed at her heart and demanded attention. "I don't know what it is," she said quietly, "but it's like there's a voice in my head trying to tell me what to do—it's a little frightening,"

Z raised a brow, "Well, will you listen to it?" he didn't ask about the details, it was a turmoil going on in her mind that he knew she wouldn't speak of, even if he tried to pry it out of her.

"I'm tempted to,"

Z's eyes briefly widened with surprise but returned to their usual nonchalant half-lidded drowsiness. It was unusual for Y/N to give in to the spirits that haunted her mind. Or, more specifically, the other half of her that seemed to often have a mind of its own.

"Do you hear this voice often?" Z questioned with piqued curiosity.

Y/N hesitated but ultimately shook her head. "She doesn't speak up often," she—her Gemini—Z narrowed his eyes with sudden interest, "when she does, I found that I'm always having conflicting feelings towards a situation,"

Z hummed and tilted his head to the side as he glanced down at Y/N with curious eyes. He thought about his past decisions, and he suddenly regretted making her wait for so long. He shouldn't have postponed their reunion so late. "You mean you want to stay with those fools from Cassell College?"