Chapter 42: Bad Blood

"Breathe next to me

"Breathe next to me. And I will capture your soul."

Rhaenyra and Daemon had just put down Viserys to bed when Aemond stormed into their quarters covered in blood. Rhaenerya covered her mouth and rushed to the young man, grabbing his arms and examining him of any wounds. Aemond seemed complete disarrayed. He could not speak.

"Look at me child." Rhaenerya grabbed his arms and raised her voice a little. "Look at me!" Aemond swallowed the knot in his throat and looked at his sister.

"Alaesys. They took her. The agitated Vhagar as a distraction and I killed them. Some of them. I can't find her she's not in her room." Daemon did not wait to hear the rest. He grabbed his sword and ran out in his night clothes, yelling to the guards.

"Get the children to my room, now! The Princess is missing!" The sound of scattering boots echoed throughout Dragonstone. The children poked their heads from their rooms and looked around. Guards scooped them up one by one and drug them to their mother who greeted them by checking them for any marks.

"Did you see them, Aemond?" Daemon ordered. It was evident he was worried, his voice was wavering.

"They were, they were wearing black cloaks. They did not speak but when one of them laid dead...they had no tongue." Rhaenerya grabbed Aemond's arm with tighter fingers. She was shaking his rage, with confusion.

"Where is Cesyja? Maybe she can pick up on her scent." As Rhaenerya spoke, a Dragon Keeper came stumbling in the room. He held his wounded arm and struggled to catch his breath. Daemon followed his closely behind, holding the man up by his robes.

"Tell her." Daemon's anger could only be contained for so long. The Dragon Keeper hissed in pain and Aemond could see the blood leaking through his fingers.

"Cesyja is gone. We tried to contain her but she broke out of her restraints. She took off East. There are old slaver caves she could've been taken to." Rhaenerya covered her mouth with sweaty palms.

Whoever had taken her child would pay.

~

Alaesys yelped when she was thrown to the bottom of the metal cage. She tried to scurry to the door before it was slammed in her face. She grabbed the barsand gritted her teeth to the man on the other side.

"Release me, and you might have your life spared." The man laughed, a sound that made Alaesys stomach drop. He slammed his fist against the cage and she jolted in fear. "You are nothing but a bastard. Born out of wedlock from your whore mother. You killed my brother and if it wasn't for the coin I was gettin', I would've taken your sweet cunt. I would've filled you with my seed for your father to find." He reached in and grabbed Alaesys face, squishing her face between his shriveled fingers. "I should cut up this pretty face just as a reminder."

Alaesys pulled her face away. She stumbled back and placed her hands over her belly. "Don't worry sweetheart, if that one dies I can just give ya 'nother." 

"My husband will cut you down. He is not far now. To hear you have threatened his heir and wife you will not receive the same sympathy I would grant you." The man pulled the blade from his belt and tapped the steel over the bars of the cage. He surrounded Alaesys like a hawk and did not take his eyes off of her.

"Your father killed my brother, Henri." Henri. This is what this all was about. Alaesys sneered.

"He threatened to kill me. I see it runs in the family." The man chuckled and slammed his palm into the crate. Alaesys reacted like a scared animal, flinching. "Who do you work for?"

"Now why would I tell you, Princess?" The man pressed his forearms to the cage and leaned forward. "Let's just say someone really doesn't want you on the throne."

"Grenn, stop harassing the poor lass." The man now know as Grenn growled and pushed himself off the cage. Under the light of the torches, Alaesys could make out that both men has shaggy brown hair. Grenn was an older man covered in dirt and grime. The other man who had entered was a bit older than her but not by much. His hair reached his shoulders and his eyes were much kinder when he eyed her. "You put a pregnant woman in a cage? Mother would be very disappointed."

"I was the one who kept us alive while mother laid with every man willing to give her coin. Grenn walked towards the other male, inching closer so his face was right next to the man's ear. "Alester, do not forget our duty."

"We have no duty. We are a family of petty thieves who just got a few spare hands from the prison. Our little brother is dead because of jobs like this one." Alester bumped shoulders with his older brother as he approached Alaesys. He stepped carefully as to not spook the princess anymore. "Did he hurt you?"

"No, I'm not scared of you." Alaesys stood as tall and stiff as she could. She was a dragon and she would not cower for these vultures. Alester chuckled and bowed his head.

"I would not expect anything less from a Targaryen princess. For the safety of your unborn child, I would warn you to watch that pretty tongue." Alaesys touched her belly to ground her. She could not be so careless when it was not only her life that was hanging in the balance. Alester grabbed a fruit from his bag and pulled out his dagger. He cut a slice of his apple and stuck it into his mouth. "Would you like a bite?"

"I do not feel like eating." Alaesys spoke softly. Grenn curled his lip back and approached the Princess. He reached his hand in and grabbed onto the necklace around her throat. It was the necklace Laenor had gifted her all of those years ago. She grabbed his hand and tried to fight to free his hold. Grenn laughed and pulled his blade in the girl, thrusting it forward until it sliced into her forearm and she released the necklace. Alaesys gasped and the necklace ripped from her neck.

"No please! That is all I have left of my father!" Alaesys grabbed the bars of the cell, blood dripping down her arm and into her white dress. Grenn inspected the necklace into the torch light. Alester rolled his eyes and shoved his brothers shoulder.

"That thing looks worthless, give it back to her."

"Anything the Princess owns is far from worthless." The older man sniffed the necklace and pocketed it. She crumpled to the ground and watched her blood roll down her fingers. "The boat will be here by sunrise, we just have to lay low for now."

"Our contact wishes for her to be there as soon as possible. Perhaps we should not delay." Alester looked to the Princess who tried to hide her tears. Blood stained her fingertips and her heart pounded against her ribs. "We could not find Cesyja. That old hag Vhagar took out two of our men when we tried to distract her."

The ground quaked and small pebbles fell from the cave ceiling. Cesyja licked her dry lips and slowly lifted her head. Both men looked around, drawing their weapons and scurried close to each other. A mighty roar echoed through the cave walls and they both looked like they were close to soiling themselves in fear.

Both dark haired men watched Alaesys laugh. She shielded her stomach and slowly stood to her feet. The woman looked at the blood dripping down her arm. "That was your biggest mistake. Dragons smell things that even a hound could not."

Alaesys smeared the blood between her fingers and smirked. "Cesyja was not hiding from you. She has found me, she's come for her mother."