Chapter 55: Hightower Green

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to first be trust

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to first be trust."

Helaena was shocked by Ser Cole's request. She quietly walked from her seat and politely handed Coke her offering. It was handmade by the Princess herself. The ring was made of twigs and winces and it was decorated in the prettiest flowers she could find. Right in the middle, was the carcass of one of her favorite beetles that had sadly passed. She was worried that Cole might quiver in fear or disgust but he took one look at the bug on the offering and smiled.

"It is beautiful, Princess." Helaena hid her blush with her hair and quickly scurried back to her seat. Alaesys reached for her hand and whispered like young girls over the offering. Ser Cole, like Jason, eyed down Rhaenyra as he took his spot. Alaesys laughed behind her hand.

How many men had her mother wronged in the past?

Alaesys shifted in her seat. She was growing more uncomfortable by the minute. Each man took their stances with lances outstretched. The flipped the kids of their helmets down and took positions. The horn blared and off they charged.

Alaesys wanted to close her eyes but she could not look away. On the first charge, both men missed and Alaesys could let out a sigh of relief. The horses turned tail and ran for each other again. Alaesys flinched the the sound of a lance against armpit screeched into the air.

Jason's lance had scratched the front of Cole's armor. It was not near enough to knock him from his saddle. Jason roared a mighty boast and again, was on the attack. The horses hooves pounded the dust up into the air and made it difficult to see. Alaesys closed her eyes when she heard the sound of a Lance piercing armor and then a thud followed by gasps. For a second she could not see who fell from his horse, but she was not surprised when it was indeed, Ser Jason, who was laid flat in his back with the wind knocked from him.

The crowd cheered and Helaena even clapped happily along with the others. It gave Alaesys joy to see her so happy for once. Ser Cole took his lap around the arena, enjoying the positive attention. He stopped just shy of the fence and beckoned Helaena to step forward. She leaned forward and plucked the blessing from his lance again.

"You have given me the best of luck, Princess." Ser Cole removed his helmet and pushed his hair away from his face. "See to it you give your husband the same." There it was. Helaena's moment of happiness had been stripped from her. Cole looked to Alicent who gave him a nod of approval. Helaena looked back to her mother and all joy fell from her face. Had her mother arranged for Cole to acknowledge her?

"Stupid." Helaena thought to herself. "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!" Why would anyone ever give her attention? She was plain and boring. Helaena allowed her thoughts to consume her as she silently wallowed back to her seat. Alaesys rubbed her upper arm and whispered in her ear.

"He must've thought you were so pretty. Any knight would be lucky to have your favor." Leave it to Alaesys to give Helaena much needed confidence. The older woman shyly looked to her lap and smiled. Alaesys pointed to the guards that were dragging a woozy Jason off of the grounds. The women giggled and little Aemma found the laughter to be quite amusing herself.

The announcer took no time in welcoming the next competitors. "The mighty lion has fallen from his rock! Now, let us place our eyes on the Jeweled Prince himself, Aemond Targaryen!" Alaesys straightened in her seat, leaning forward to see her husband make his appearance from around the wall. His horse was a mighty beast itself. Her broad chest was decorated with gold bangles that matched the headpiece she wore. She was an off-gray, almost black in color with a long man that was tied into plaits.

His armor and chain mail glistened in the sunlight. It was metallic silver color that was contrast against his black gloves. What really drew everyone's attention was the red cloak that danced behind him in the wind. It was almost a carbon copy of the one Alaesys wore.

Everyone whispered in hushed voices when they spot the sit-up on his right shoulder. It was the Targaryen crest and a true Targaryen red. Rhaenyra knew that Otto must me pissing himself when he saw such a sight.

Aemond's hair was braided down his back to keep his flowing strands from his eyesight. Alaesys felt her heart skip a beat when he removed his helm. It was like she was falling in love with the man all over again. Aemond lifted his chin and smiles at his dear wife.

"My Lady, would you do me the honor of blessing me once again?" Alaesys smiled and couldn't help the heat the rose to her cheeks. The crowd, inside the canopy and out, whistled and cheered for such sweet words. Alaesys reached into her dress and pulled out the tiniest flower crown she could bare to make. She lifted Aemma in one arm and walked down the way to gift her husband the favor. She put the favor in Aemma's tiny hand and held the babe over the edge.

"Princess Aemma wishes to bestow her blessings upon the bravest King she has ever known." Aemond gently took the babe in his arms as gently as he could. Alaesys could hear the echoes of awes and coos at the beautiful display. Aemond kissed the top of Aemma's head and took the crown from her tiny fingers.

"I will take this blessing with honor, dārilaros." Princess. His future crowned princess. The offer was so tiny he could barely fit it over the handle of his saddle. With gentle hands, Aemma was given back to her mother. Alaesys pushed her hair out of her face, leaning over to give her husband a "good luck" kiss. Aemond was not embarrassed to nip at her lower when when the two pulled away.

Aemond winked at his woman and took his position on his side of the field. Alaesys face lit up when she saw a familiar face as his squire. It was little Luke. Rhaenyra had caught wind of their plans and forbid her son from joining the Tourney. Aemond had promised he would have a hand in festivities. So Aemond made him his squire, until next year, when he could join for himself.

Alaesys took her place and bounced Aemma on her knee nervously. The announcer introduced
the next competitor. "Ser Alester, of the Iron Isles! He has come to dethrone the King to Be!" Alaesys felt her palms grow sweaty. Alester had a cocky grin as he took off his helm and swung his hair back. Just like Cole, he had women throwing themselves at his feet.

His horse was Gray with black speckles, thing and lean. His armor made the knot in Alaesys throat tighten.

Hightower Green.

She did not know if it was coincidence or not, until she saw the approaching Bannerman. The Hightower sigil stood proud on the flag and Alaesys wanted to reach out and fight Alester herself. Had Alicent or Otto done this as a cruel joke? Alaesys looked to her mother who's stare was cold as ice.

Alester approached the fence and scanned the crowd for such a lady to bless him. "My Queen." Alaesys eyes could not fool further back. Alicent took gentle and dainty steps to Alester. She gifted him a crown of fine jewels that was probably worth more than he had ever held. He bowed his head to her and rode off to his own squire.

If Aemond did not kill him, Alaesys would.