Chapter Three

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Memory Lane: Chapter Three

Aside from my original reasoning to go to the party, I agreed to come because I truly do thrive off of meeting new people. To me, there's nothing more boring than being cooped up all alone with no one new to talk to. Living with my grandmother in her retirement home was not the most ideal location, however I found a way to talk to people. Turns out, elderly people love getting to tell their stories. I think they just want someone to talk to, and I really loved sitting down for dinner with my grandmother's friends and getting to know them.

"Since I still don't have a car," Allen says as he grabs the keys from their little bowl next to the front door, "we have to take my moms. Don't worry, though. I'll be our DD, I don't need to drink tonight."

Before I let Allen know that I was going to come with him, I laid out a plan that made me feel comfortable going at all. The one thing that is important to me is that I drive, which of course means no drinking, but I doubt Allen will put up much of a fight. I assume that with high schoolers finding someone willing to be the designated driver is not easy.

"Actually, would you mind if I drive?"

With the front door already open, Allen pushes open the old storm door with a loud creak and holds it for me, sending me a confused look.

"You know you don't have to, right? I don't mind. I already told the others I could drive them home."

I stop when I reach the bottom of the porch steps, causing Allen to stop with me. The fall air whips around us, the light from the moon and stars illuminating the sky. It was a dark, cloudy sky the night of the crash. If there had been stars like this to light the night...

"Really, I'd prefer to drive," I say with a smile, holding my hands out for the keys.

Something in my expression must give away more than my words, because Allen stops arguing.

"Okay, but only because this isn't my car," he jokes. "I'm saving up for her and once I get my baby, no one is touching her aside from me."

They keys jangle in the air as I reach my hand out to grab them, sending him a wary look. "You've already personified your nonexistent car?"

"And named her."

I continue to stare at him, raising a brow.

"Sabrina."

I avoid rolling my eyes at him, unable to hold back my snort of laughter and we get into his mom's car.

"Well, at least it's not named after a Pokémon."

As Allen descends into the car, his legs uncomfortably smooshed in the small sedan, he glances at me with a sideways look and adjusts his glasses.

"She is named after the gym leader in Saffron City."

"And yet you're popular," I mutter as I start the car.

Allen laughs, unable to come up with a rebuttal. Instead, he goes on his phone and I begin to back down the driveway and head to the party with his direction. Driving at night is always harder. It makes me wonder why they pave roads black. Why not white or yellow or something easier to spot when the sun isn't shining?

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear Allen clear his throat unnaturally and in what I assume is a way to get my attention.

"About the stuff you mentioned back at the house," he begins as my eyes dart between the dark road and him, "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything..."