Chapter Thirty Four

"I always entertain great hopes." - Robert Frost

Memory Lane: Chapter Thirty Four

The calendar has ticked closer and closer to the date of Quinn's party. Somehow, the rest of October flew by and we are well into November with the party only a week away. While the rest of us have waited in anticipation of what the theme is going to be (and if she's really going to be able to pull this off), Quinn has kept the entire plan a secret. Well, until today.

Late last night, Quinn texted all of us in our group chat requesting (demanding) that we all show up to school on Monday an hour early to help her. With what? She wouldn't say. But, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to ascertain that it's something party-related since we are now less than a week away from the famed Saturday. She's texted us the date nearly every single day to make sure none of us make other plans, to which we each have asked: who else would we be making plans with?

So, this morning, Allen and I set our alarms an hour earlier than usual to join up with Kendall, Quinn, and Jesse at school one full hour before any other students (and most teachers) will even think about pulling up. For me, that meant setting my alarm for 6am (which also meant Jesse setting his alarm for 6am).

He and I have walked to school together almost every day, rain or shine. The stolen kisses, occasional pinned against a tree make-outs, and quality time are things I greatly look forward to every morning. Our walks are stress-free. Since learning about my parents car crash, Jesse hasn't offered to drive us to school or even asked about it... until today.

We're halfway to school, just having passed the Walloomsac Inn, when he speaks up.

"It's starting to get colder outside."

I glance up at the gray, cloudy sky above us and note the rather chilly breeze whistling through the trees. He's right. The temperature has been steadily decreasing every week and this morning is cold enough for us both to need a second layer to keep us warm. I'm wearing his hoodie (I think we've both established that it's pretty much mine now), and he's wearing a dark red flannel over top of another hoodie to keep him warm. 

"I kind of like the cold. Besides, walking warms you up. I barely notice the cold once I'm at school."

"While it's still Autumn, maybe. What about when Winter hits and it's freezing temperatures?"

"A light jog instead?" 

"Coming from the girl that pouts when I walk too quickly for her."

I frown at him. "You walk abnormally fast. I blame your height, really."

Jesse smiles down at me and we fall into a comfortable silence as we pass the cemetery. The sparse trees spotted around the rolling hills of the cemetery barely have any leaves left at all at this time of year. Most of them have fallen to the ground; covering the once green grass in a speckle of brown and orange. 

Honestly, I think walking past a cemetery every day should be bad for my mental health; walking so close to death-land when I'm trying to outrun the trauma of my parents' death. Instead, it's somewhat calming. Especially since I discovered that Robert Frost is buried here.

"We haven't talked about your step two."

My eyes snap back to Jesse and I stiffen. "What?"

"Your step two. Have you thought about it?"

I study the sidewalk. "Sure. A little. I'm not sure what it should be, though."

We fall quiet for the next few moments. The only sound between us is the cold wind and our feet crunching the occasional leaf. Soon, the cemetery is far behind us and we enter another small patch of woods closer to school.