Chapter Twenty Three

This is going to be a TWO PART chapter - which means part one is uploaded today and part two is going to be uploaded sometime next week! Eventually, I may go back and combine them into one but for now they had to be broken up into two. Enjoy!

"Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length." - Robert Frost

Memory Lane: Chapter Twenty Three

Per usual, before we head out to the Saturday night party, Quinn and Kendall came over to get ready with me. The two of them, along with Allen, have decided to pre-game a bit with some Hill Farmstead beer that Quinn stole from her dad's 'booze fridge' in the garage. Seems to be a staple of most homes. I remember my dad had one too that he and his buddies would always pull from on the weekend. 

That was another trick by him with the root beer: he kept it in the garage fridge to really sell the act that I was drinking with him and his friends. I should probably be a little embarrassed that it took me so long to figure it out. 

"I haven't opened mine yet, Laura. You sure you don't want to drink tonight?" Kendall offers.

I know Allen, Quinn, and Kendall absolutely love having me as the all-time designated driver. If I asked one of them to take the reins for the night, I have no doubt that they would each volunteer for me. Like right now. But, for obvious reasons, that is not going to happen.

"I appreciate it, Kendall! But don't worry, I really don't mind driving us again."

We're all sitting in my room, each of them with a beer in hand, with music playing from a Bose speaker set on my dresser. I continue to sift through my earrings to find the best pair while Quinn freestyles to the song playing, making each of us question her sanity more than usual with the lines she's coming up with.

"That was... something," Kendall snickers from her spot on the floor, sitting atop the shag pink carpet that I've started to actually kind of love.

If it was Aunt June's goal to make me love the color pink, I'm afraid to admit it was a job well done.

Kendall is sitting between Allen's legs, snuggled with her back against his chest as he rests his back against the foot of my bed. He attempts yet again to braid her long, black hair, messing up horrendously.

"Quinn, I thought you said a fishtail braid was easy?" He grumbles, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose out of frustration.

"It's not hard. Just do what I showed you," she says, plopping down on my bed after her little dance session that went along with her freestyle.

Allen mutters something under his breath as he goes back to attempting the braid while Kendall takes a sip of her beer. She cringes hard at the bitter flavor, especially now that it's gone warm.

"Couldn't you have grabbed a couple of High Noon's from your fridge?" Kendall sighs.

Quinn sends her a look. "My dad doesn't drink seltzers."

"What about your mom? I find it hard to believe she'd drink this..."

"She drinks the stuff that my Uncle brings when he visits, but it's more of an all-natural spiked kombucha. I didn't think you guys would like it."

"Anything could be better than this," Kendall whines.

Quinn throws a pillow down at them, frowning. "What is this? Rag-On-Quinn Day?"

I glance at her through the mirror on my dresser. "No, I have that scheduled for next week."

"Har-har."