Chapter 10

"Mav!" Abigail called catching up to Maverick.

"Yeah?" Maverick asked. "I need to talk with you, about Cyclone and the Christmas party, in your office," she said.

Maverick nodded taking her into his office.

"Please sit," he said.

She sat down across from him. "I hope you know that any report like this, we rake very seriously and I will personally do my best to make sure it will be taken seriously and-"

"Report? What report? I'm not reporting anything?" Abigail asked confused.

"Oh, so Cyclone didn't-"

"Oh god no! Jesus Pete, I know you two have butt heads but he is a decent man!" She objected.

"Please, please, please, tell me that you haven't shared your. . . Suspicions with anyone else."

"No, I haven't even if my worst-case scenario was correct, I didn't feel it was my place to tell anyone, especially someone like Hangman or Bob," He said.

"Well no, nothing like that happened but he told me that something was happening, something with the higher-ups, higher than him and that it affects the squad, what do you know?" She asked.

Maverick sighed. "Abigail, it's New year's day, don't worry yourself with this," he said.

"I'm going to worry, no matter what you say, unless it is the true explanation as to what is going on," she told him.

". . .Have you ever heard of kamikaze, Abigail?" He asked.

Abigail swallowed thickly nodding. "Yes, it comes from World War 2, Japanese pilots would intentionally crash into enemy ships and aircraft, killing the enemy and themselves, if they didn't do it, they would be disowned, and their families would act as though they had died, those pilots usually killed themselves later" she explained.

"You know a decent bit."

"We did a poem about it in High School English, I found it extremely interesting." Abigail nodded. "I dare to ask. . .What does that have to do with the dagger squad?"

"So actual kamikaze missions are not a thing, obviously, however, the term is used informally for missions where we believe they'll take the target out but will. . .Kill themselves in the process." Maverick explained.

"A suicide mission, you're sending them on a suicide mission," she said shakily.

"We. . .Need to look over some other things, your input is also wanted on certain situations," he said.

"I'm a lawyer, I'm not meant to do much," she argued.

". . .Well, I looked through your experience and qualifications, and at least for this mission, I am suggesting you as an advisor for the team and the section."

"You'd be in close contact with me, Admiral Kazansky and Admiral Simpson, and other generals and higher-ups who organize missions and other situations, you'd mostly be asked or expected to input your opinions on the best route politically. . .And I believe your connection to the team makes you more reliable."

"Wouldn't most people say that makes me less reliable?"

"When have I agreed with most people" Maverick grinned.

"Only for this mission?" She asked. "Only for this mission" Maverick confirmed.

"I'll consider it Maverick." She sighed. "It's. . .It's a lot."

"I know it is, I wanted to tell you at a different time," he said sympathetically.

"Please. . .Please don't tell the team, we have no real details yet, I don't want to ruin their New Year."