Chapter 19

The flight deck was what Abigail expected to be the most intimidating place she had to be.

But she was wrong, very wrong, the command room was dark, cold and loud.

The chaos of the flight deck was comforting, She'd seen it a million times, the command room was unfamiliar and intimidating.

Iceman seemed to be able to tell placing a hand on her shoulder, "If anything goes wrong, I'm pulling you out," He told her.

"Admiral-" Abigail started, "There's no but, something goes wrong you leave, I won't negotiate" Iceman insisted.

"Dagger one, away, Dagger two away, Dagger three away, dagger four away,"

"LCDR, Dagger one standby check-in," Jake said.

"Hangman, check in-picture is clear, recommend Dagger continue,"

"Copy, Daggers descend below the radar," In the space of a few seconds, the steady blinking of the radar vanished.

The four distinct visuals had now gone, completely undetected by the radar system.

"Daggers now below radar, switching to E2 picture," Switches were flipped bringing up the locations of the Dagger squad once again, to see 2 planes moving at a steady pace kept Abigail's heart from exploding inside her chest.

"LCDR, picture clean," one of the people said, the room fell silent a collective knowing that this one is it, the final moment of no return.

Holding her breath Abigail closed her eyes tight, exhaling slowly.

"Decision is yours, Captain," the Person said turning to Maverick who Abigail hadn't even realised was in the room.

Maverick paused before giving his final decision, "Dagger attack,"

"Daggers, assume attack formation" A few seconds went past as she watched them change formation on the E2 system.

"Daggers set, proceeding to target, two minutes and thirty seconds in three, two, one, mark," the person set the timer, as did the pilots.

So far so good .

At the sudden and abrupt beeping of her radar, everyone turned to the large screen.

"Daggers, LCDR here, we're picking up two bandits, signal for two contacts," someone said.

"Where the hell did they come from?" Cyclone asked as she tried to get more of a visual.

"Long-range patrol?" Iceman asked trying to make an educated guess as Abigail gripped his arm.

"We were told there was no patrol at this time," Maverick said.

"What's their heading?" Phoenix asked as the person scrambled to repeat their findings.

"They're heading away from us, they don't know we're here," Fanboy chimed in.

A small collective sigh was released in the room.

"Hangman and Bob have landed," Phoenix reported.

Abigail's heart sank into the pit of her stomach, a bloody vomit sensation rising.

"Sir- we're getting an unreported image-" before the report was finished warning signals were going off.

"Up! Up! Higher Dagger 1! We're getting reports of bandits circling!" They ordered.

"Safe, new altitude, we can see them from our new position,"

"Keep target on them "

"Hangman, Bob, come in, copy "