07

Pain is the first thing that come to his mind when he open his eyes slowly. Blinking to adjust his vision over the dim light coming from out of the glass window.

Nunew push his body halfway up. The bed creak under him—Nunew touch around his nape to feel any bruise that form but found none of it. He clearly remember that Zee attacked him last night. The event still fresh in his mind, every detail before he pass out.

Nunew seek for the older's presence but the room is empty. He wonder where Zee is at a time like this. Nunew need a lot of explanation to get from Zee himself. The officer bite him and suck his blood like a leech and that image scare the living shit out of him.

Not just that but out of all reactions he should have, Nunew never imagine he would get arouse from being bitten by a human leech. He would call Zee with that new nickname for now since he can't figure out how to named him yet. Or should he name him bloodsucker? But that doesn't sound any better. He'll leave it for now.

Someone knocked on the door, pulling him out of his daydream. Nunew jump to his feet and back away till his body slump against the wall at the farthest corner of the room. He look frantically around for any object that could be his shield or weapon. When he can't find any, he make sure to be as small as possible pushing himself more as if the wall would
hide him from the person's eyes.

"Nunew? It's me Nat—can I come in?" Another knock follow after. The young male let go of the breath he hold. Wait—does Nat know what happened last night? Should he ask? But what if Nat isn't aware of the situation he is in and thinks that Nunew is weird by telling this to him.

"What are you doing there? Standing by the wall—really now?" Nat laugh at the blank look Nunew gave him. The latter is caught off guard, he did not see Nat let himself in the room after the constant knock asking permission that goes to deaf ear.

"Morning?" Nunew open and close his mouth repeatedly. No word come out of it as the time pass.

Nat walk closer to him. Slow as possible as to not scare the human boy. This must take a toll on his brain, I mean no one is alive after getting bitten. Usually they would be six feet underneath by now. But Nunew is different, he is not just like any human out there—even Nat could feel it and maybe Zee too?

"How are you feeling?" The smaller pull on the hem of Nunew's shirt. Nat talk with his softest voice, treating Nunew like an injured animal with care.

"Peachy?I guess–"

"Well isn't that great? Come on let's get you on full stomach first before you ask we continue the talk. I could see the gear working inside your brain trying to come up with list of question and all that" Nat clasp their finger together and pull Nunew out of the room. They walk downstairs to the almost empty living room. A new face greeted Nat and look at Nunew with curiosity. "Who?"

"James–this is Nunew. The new tenant that Phi Zee bring in yesterday"

"Nice to meet you, I am Nunew" He quickly offered his palm for a handshake.

"James pull him into a hug and sniff his nape. Nunew got goosebumps from the action, he try to stay put but his body had mind of its own. Taking a step back feeling uncomfortable.

"Sorry if I seem rude for our first meet. I tend to do that with everyone I meet—like part of my greeting style but if you told me not to do that I won't anymore. For you that's it" James fast to apologise as he could see how Nunew's face drop when he did that act. He make a mental note to not do that to the human.

"It's fine but I just–not ready for any near contact for now. Handshake is alright, if you don't mind?"

"Of course lovely, now come on dig in. I cook quite a lot this morning for everyone before the go to work. Eat till you're full" James pull a chair for the younger to take a seat.

Nunew look around trying to find Zee but to no avail yet again–he see none of him even downstairs. Nat take a pity on Nunew and tell him just that. "Phi Zee got something urgent to do in the station, he will be back around noon"

"Oh–" and Nunew didn't make any noise afterward, he eat his breakfast silently while watching both James and Nat talk animatedly around the table. He couldn't catch as they talk so fast by themselves, Nunew finish his food and walk to the sink to clean the dirty plate of his.

"Just leave it there for now, we need to have a serious conversation right?" Nat call for him to the couch while James clear the table.

Nunew bite his lips in nervousness. Where should he start? Or is it a great idea to let Nat explain all of it while he be the listener since he is not sure. The latter look promising for him. He let his gaze stay on the smaller male who is already looking at him expectantly as if awaiting for his question.

"So–where should we start?" James take a seat beside Nat. They both look at Nunew with a kind smile, they does not show any dangerous vibes toward Nunew so that's mean he can trust them. As if he could trust anyone else after what happened with the stalker.

"I wanted to know what happened last night. Why Zee do that to my neck out of a sudden. Is this a normal occurrence? Him biting and sucking blood like that?"

"Nunew have you ever heard of vampire?"

"Like in the movie type of vampire? Isn't that a fictional thing? What does it got to do with our conversation?" Nunew furrow his brow deeper with the out of context question coming from Nat.

"Vampire are not fictional, Nunew—in fact we are living in this world for as long as human do. The difference is human is living to their best life while our kind are kept hidden. Our identity is a risk, for the danger that come after us. Vampire is a dangerous being in the eyes of human. They get threatened by our nature being and make it look like we are meant to be killed and destroyed if ever found thus why a lot of us hide ourselves in fear for life. But some are brave enough to be out there despite the danger that will bring us"

"You're a vampire? Like for real?!" Nunew open his eyes wide enough to let all of it in. How come he never know of this. This is a new discovery.

"Yeah we are, I mean all of us in this house actually a vampire except you?"

"Uh OH!" Nunew mouth goes slack in realisation.