24. BROKEN BLOGGER

"He...took Blitz." My knees buckled and fists pounded the concrete floor. Sharp pains shot through my bones but I barely gritted my teeth. It was eternity since I last felt lonely. And it didn't sit well with me. No one to calm my heartbeat, to comfort me, to talk to me.

I needed someone to talk to. Someone to confide in right now. It was all too much. Had I lost everything?

Lifting my head to survey the environment, I observed I was in a rundown back alley. The slightest feeling of relief sparked inside me. Hopefully, no one saw how Kazar ended Tekeon. There was no camera nor passerby in sight; only withered trees, shabby buildings, and the crater formed from Kazar's crash; the one he jumped out of before extracting Blitz from me.

There was a faint sound of police sirens, I had to leave that spot quickly.

I sprang up to my feet and threw my hoodie over my head, hiding as much of my features as possible. Surprisingly, the glasses were still intact. So I left them on and cautiously made my way into the open street.

Talk about a path less trodden; to my left and right were closed-up stores and empty roads with flickering street lights. In front of me, just across the road, was a stretch of metal railings that acted as a barricade to the sea beyond.

Ironic as it were, I couldn't contemplate suicide. I was never one to run away from my problems. All I wanted was to share them. To ease the burden and let someone know. Someone I could trust. But who?

Perhaps it was time I opened up to Nic and told him who I truly am--or was.

Striding towards the left side of the street, away from the sound of the sirens, I pulled out my phone and took a deep breath before dialing Nic.

Unfortunately, the call went to voicemail.

Shoot. Could he still be at work at this time of the night? Overtime, maybe?

I decided to leave a message. "Hey, pal. There's something I've been meaning to tell you. I might really need your help. Call me when you're free."

As I cut the call, I remembered my conversation with Gina yesterday. She told me she would be on night shift so I made up my mind on where I was going next.

Was she a better alternative to Nic? Probably not. But she would understand anyways. Part of me believed she would.

Once I reached the end of the street, I took a corner and found myself in a more decent part of town. It seemed like a quiet neighborhood, those ones with matching houses and stable street lights that stretched out of view. In the distance, I spotted a taxi pulling over at a front porch. A woman in a red fur coat exited the back.

"Taxi!" I waved my hands and started in its direction.

The driver seemed to notice me, slowly driving to close the distance.

When it reached me, I stepped to the backdoor and got inside.

The driver winced in the rearview mirror. "Rough day?" He said with a throaty voice.

Making sure my glasses were fixed in place, I responded. "You don't wanna know."

I watched him adjust his white cap and clear his throat. "Where to?"

"City square."

"Anywhere specific?"

"I'll find my way from there."

*****

The hum of the engine dissipated when the taxi came to rest. At this point, I was already having second thoughts about telling Gina. Playing in my mind were multiple scenarios of the outcome. But I had made up my mind; whatever would be would be. Somehow she seemed to have a piece of my heart, even though I had decided to give the whole to June.