Chapter 13

*I DON'T OWN ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS. THEY ALL BELONG TO OUR QUEEN CORA REILLY*

Song Rec: I Write Sins not Tragedies by Panic! at the Disco

Aurora

Elena Sorrento looked like a scared puppy who was forced into a car. The falcones and my family were all waiting outside the Bellagio for the arrival of the Sorrentos and the Cavallaros. I felt like an idiot standing next to Nevio and he looked like his casual murderous self. No one questioned why I was standing there, except Alessio and Massimo. They were staring at me and definitely knew something. Famiglia tradition suggested that the couple get married in the groom's town and for the sake of convenience, Greta's wedding was also here. It was the reason behind half the outfit and Famiglia descending on Vegas. However, more than comfort, it was a sign of trust from Remo to let his enemies into his city. The irony of it was hilarious, not just to me, but also Savio.

"She looks like they kidnapped her for us" he said with a chuckle as Elena got out. Remo sent him a scathing look, but Savio kept grinning.

I could see why. Her eyes were glued to the ground and her hands were clenching the skirt of her dress. Her skin was too pale and the bags under her eyes were deep enough to suggest trauma induced insomnia. For a minute, I almost pitied her, but then she gave Nevio her version of a shy smile and he nodded in return. When her father put his hand on her back, she flinched so hard it was unbelievable to miss. Like good members of the mafia, we ignored it and went forwards to greet them. Nevio looked like he could be anywhere else, but dutifully, he shook Dante Cavallaro's hand and kissed Elena's fingers. I didn't have enough time to rage over the sight because clumsily, she stumbled onto me and I grabbed her arm to steady her. Could she smell Nevio's cologne still on me? The evidence of our hasty hook up this morning was minimal, but present. The motherfucker had climbed into my childhood bedroom, as if we were teens again and woken me at the buttcrack of dawn to fuck. Needless to say, I'd complied. The confused yet slightly enraged look in her eyes told me she had noticed. It was gone as quickly as it got there and she muttered an embarrassed apology. Perfect. Now I was a homewrecker.

The week leading up to Greta's wedding was filled with fake smiles and enough passive aggression among the three families, that it was a wonder we were now listening to Amo's sentimental vows at their wedding. Alessio, Carlotta and I had a bet with Savio of at least 4 deaths before the last wedding and so far, there were none. Greta in tears was a rare display of emotion, but in the moment, even Luca's aunts were dabbing their eyes. Amo was a piece of work and seeing him so happy with Greta almost made the shit show worth it. I was about to bring Julian along with me as emotional support without knowing that he had already been invited by Luca. I supposed being the son of the Famiglia doc had its perks. With the way Nevio was glaring lasers at him, it was worth it. I was standing in line with him to congratulate Amo and Greta, when a timid voice behind me said, "You are so beautiful."

I jumped, startled at her voice. Elena stood behind us, with her mother who was looking us up and down with clear disdain.

"Thank you, all though I don't think I can compare to you," I said. It was true. Without the tell tale signs of abuse, Elena was a rare staggering beauty who rivaled Marcella and Aria. She was the Outfit's prize and giving her to Nevio was definitely a statement.

The surprised look in her eyes was almost comical, and she blushed a slight pink. "You flatter me!" she grabbed my hand. "We are going to be sisters soon so please call me Lena. Everyone does."

Sisters. The word made me want to throw up. She was marrying my man and she had the audacity to call me her sister?

"Is it true that you are a doctor?" her mother asked me. Apparently everyone had heard about my USMLE Step 2 success.