f o u r

Kiana Pierce

Today is a day that I dread:

My father's death anniversary

Most people would think after so many years I would able to go through the day without completely breaking down like I did the night I found him lifeless.

No one knows how he really died but me. My father was a noble king,one with aheart of gold and smile as dazzling as the stars. A hero amongst us. If his former people knew how he had fallen from his grace,he would be tarnished and unworthy to be regarded as thier former king.

Just like every year before and the years before that,the castle has a depressing mood lingering in the air,the staff isn't as bustling as every other day,the expression are neutral but there's a hint of sadness in their eyes that you couldn't easily miss. As they mourn for their King.

I sighed as I walked to his grave. The quietness of the walk made the crunching fall leaves louder than my thoughts. The beautiful carving of his tombstone glistened against the sun. A single tear flowed down my cheek. I picked up my dress and kneeled in front of his tombstone. The moist soil underneath me made my heart feel even heavier.

"Hi,daddy. Today marks 6 years since you died,and things haven't been the same since. Mother has changed drastically,and I guess the kingdom is thriving. I wish you were here,and we were a happy family again insted of the ruins of what used to be. She blames your death as a reason for my "unruly" behavior,I don't know why I did quotation marks because you probably can't see them where you are. I miss you so bad daddy and the kingdom does too. See you next visit. I love you. " I sniffled

I dusted my knees and walked back before mother noticed I was gone. I snuck through the backdoor of the kitchen and smiled at the maids that were preparing breakfast. I headed to the art room.

Every Sunday,we would lock ourselves in this room and paint to our hearts content.

I miss those days.

Mixing a selection of paints on the palate after placing the canvas on the stand. I sighed before starting to paint my father in his glory days from a picture I found in mother's jewellery box. After I was done,I placed it in the locked storage closet with more of his paintings. Mother banned any paintings,pictures or anything that was his or reminded her of him to be placed anywhere in the castle. I pulled out another canvas as I hummed to a random song in my head,I got lost in painting the beautiful mountain view behind the castle walls.

:::::

"KIANA EVIANNA PIERCE!!" Mother yelled for me downstairs

I left the art room in a rushed manner that I may have spilt paint somewhere on the floor. I breathed heavily as I stood straight in front of a furious looking mother.

"Yes,mother?" I asked

"where have you been?"She bellowed

"In the art room mother" I answered

"Come here" she hastily pulled me to a room I never seen

"You know what today is?" She muttered softly

"Father's death anniversary" I said looking at her perplexed

"I have something to tell you" she said

"Mother are you alright?"I asked concerned

She gestured for me to sit on the bed and I obeyed

"Please forgive me" she pleaded

::::

A/N: thoughts on the chapter?

Vote!

Comment!

-stormii⚡