Chapter Twelve

Four taught me a lesson: I need to let go of my past, and focus on what's important, and right now, that's passing initiation.

Today is the first day of the fear simulation. In this exercise, we are put into a fear landscape and are forced to face our fears and overcome them like how Dauntless would.

"Scar." Four states, coming out of a room, similar to the one I took my test in.

"What's it like?" I ask, taking a seat.

"The fear simulation? Honestly, it's gonna be hard. Trust me, facing your fears is not an easy thing, but I want you to take deep breaths, keep your heartbeat steady, and try and make it through."

"Will you be seeing what's going on?" I ask again, clenching my fists, trying not to break down.

"Yes, is that a problem?" he asks, flicking the syringe.

"N-No, I've just never had anyone looking at what I'm scared of, that's all."

"Listen Scar, we all have our fears, and things we don't want people to see. I have that I never want people to see, but sometimes, we have to get outside of our comfort zone, and let people see." He explains, pushing me carefully back into the chair. I nod my head, and feel the needle sink into the side of my neck.

"Remember, keep a steady heartbeat, and take deep breaths." I hear Four whispers, before I'm taken into darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I start out in a room: A dark cold room.

My first fear: The dark. Freak out, that's what I start to do, I scream, and try to find any source of light, but then I remember Four's advice. I take in a deep breath, and then suddenly I'm in the middle of a city. It's just me, no one else.

My second fear: Being left alone. I look in windows, empty buildings; I look everywhere, but no people. I close my eyes, and then open them again, to find myself in my basement. I let out a whimper, and crouch down as I hear footsteps come down the stairway.

"SAMANTHA!! Get your ass front and center!!" My dad yells. I look down to see my body bruised and broken. Standing up, I stumble towards my father.

"Time for the other side sweetheart." He growls. I let out a scream, as I feel his knife cut into my other side of my cheek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lunge forward to feel Fours hand at my shoulder.

"It's ok, you're ok." He whispers. I let out gasps, and my body is shaking, "hey, look at my, look at my eyes, place your hand on my heart and match your heartbeat with mine." He continues. I place my hand on his heart, and match my heartbeat with his.

"Thanks." I sigh. I lie back in the chair, and look up.

"You only have 3 fears?" He asks.

"Hell no, I have at least 10, Maybe more, why?"

"Because, I only saw 3 of your fears. Why do you think I only got to see 3? Do you mind telling me your fears?" He asks.

"Honestly, I have no idea why you only got 3 of my fears, but all my fears are:

1.     Fear of darkness

2.     Fear of being alone

3.     My father

4.     Fear of water, specifically drowning

5.     Fear of guns

6.     Fear of heights

7.     Fear of me being to commanding

8.     Fear of losing someone close to me

9.     Fear of not doing my best

10.           Fear of small places"

He nods and gets up from his chair.

"Well, next time, maybe I'll see all you're your fears." I pull myself out of my chair and make my way towards the door.

"Maybe." He opens the door and I walk to my dorm, to find Christina and Tris on Tris's bed.