Part 1.11

"You're Tanerian."

I watch the flicker of fear grow on Talia's face as my words sink in. "So what if I am?" Her tone is all edges, no curves.

I sigh. "Talia, why didn't you just say so?"

Anger flashes red in her eyes. "Why didn't I say so? Why do you think? The High Ruler's got his ambassador over here looking for us, wanting to drag us back to that place, and you're wondering why I didn't just say so?"

The Tanerian ambassador. The one Prince Marsi was hosting back in Zilitron. He was closer than Talia thought.

I knew I'd seen the material on Talia's ring, and on Owen's sword, somewhere. It's only found in Taneria. I've seen pictures in a book, but I've never seen the material in real life. I'm not even sure what it's called.

"If you're going to turn me in, just do it." Talia is cocooned in an angry sulk.

"I'm not going to turn you in, Talia. I just wish you'd trusted me sooner. It explains the charm I found working on Owen's hair. The disguise isn't half bad."

Talia grunts. "Having white hair and velvet eyes is too much of a giveaway."

"Why was Owen really in Naemar?"

Talia's shoulders sag. "He was hiding. We both were. The High Ruler sent spies to Zilitron. They found some of our friends and dragged them back to Taneria. Me and Owen thought we'd disappear for a while. He hid out in Naemar, and I stayed in a village nearby. We thought it was better that we split up. When word got out that the spies had left, I thought we were safe. But he's here, snooping around. We're never safe."

"You're safe with me," I assure her. "I'm not going to rat you out, Talia. You're my client, and my job is to help you."

Talia looks to be fighting back tears. "We were supposed to come out of hiding when the spies left. Owen wasn't supposed to stay in Naemar. We did everything together. We came here to start new lives together. I just can't lose Owen now."

"You won't." My tone is hard. "I know there's something calling people to Naemar. I've heard it myself. I'm speaking to Ignatius tomorrow."

*

A melody wrinkled with sadness.

I follow it with arms and legs made of moonlight. She doesn't understand, the one who is calling me. She doesn't understand why it is the way it is.

She was bored without them. Sad. Angry. But even when she'd been with them, she was bored and sad and angry. She couldn't play with plants the way she played with them. The plants, their minds were dark. Once or twice she'd found a star winking in their depths, but people were an entire galaxy.

Her mind was not a galaxy. It was a cold void. She needed to fill it with stars. That's why she needed them. She needed their stars. She had to have them.

I want to give her my stars. I want to light that void inside her until I burn out.

Lily.

Warmth on my ankle.

Lily.

A sharp bite of pain.

The world snaps back into focus like a rubber band. Trees like shadows, grass brushing against my feet, the moon yawning in a sky full of nothing.

Lily, why are you here?

Onyx's black marble eyes blink up at me. We're in the fields outside Maya's house. I don't remember coming here.

"I was dreaming," I say. "Following...someone."

You have sleepwalked quite some way.

A headache gnaws at my mind. I've never sleepwalked before. "What are you doing out here anyway?"

I enjoy an evening stroll just like the next cat.

He trots beside me as I make my way back to the cottage.

"I keep hearing someone, Onyx. A very young girl. She's calling me to the moon."

If cats could frown, I'd say it's what Onyx is doing. Calling you to the moon?

"I heard her in Naemar too. I was awake then. She said she misses her mother."

It does not seem connected to Ignatius. Onyx hops over a patch of still-budding wild acanthines. They swivel their bulbs at him, unable to bite with their underdeveloped teeth. I cannot think of anything that would tie Ignatius to the moon. Perhaps the girl is one of those trapped in Naemar.

I need to know. She needs my help, whoever she is. The whole village needs my help. Ignatius must be stopped.