Part 3.9

1,000 YEARS IN THE PAST
PHAEDREAN SPACE

The shuttle ride to Phaedra was slow and drowsy. Scion's mind quietly whirred with ideas. He drank in the stars and wondered why some things shone while other things withered. It was the way they were made, he supposed. But why were some things made to be forever while others perished? Everything, he decided, should be forever.

Oedipus sat near the front of the shuttle. His eyes were closed; Scion would assume that someone in this position was hibernating, but you could never be sure with Oedipus. His ears never slept.

The shuttle's descent brought with it a myriad of emotions. First and foremost was wonder. The towers of Prometheus, the capital of Phaedra, rose up around them, needle-shaped and blinking with amber light. Clouds of mist weaved through them. Most were shades of purple, but there was also silver, pink, rose gold, and green. They shouldn't have green, he thought. Green belonged to the Ariadni.

As soon as Scion stepped out onto the docking port, he was slapped with a shock of cold. This is what Oedipus meant when he warned him to wear his cloak. Scion had been offended - a warrior braved all weathers. Now he drew heat together into his palm until an emerald flame sprouted from it, shivering in the icy wind. He needed to warm up before his particles froze solid like emerquartz.

There was a figure making its way towards him. Swirls of lilac mist rose from it, but Scion couldn't make out any features. What would he be like, this Lazarus? What wonders would his mind hold? He brought with him a whole new planet of mysteries. Perhaps he would share them with Scion. Perhaps the answers hiding on this planet were for him to find.

"Remember what I told you, boy."

Oedipus's hiss was like acid rain on his dreams.

Scion nodded. He was here to serve his people. Nothing more.

Lazarus was every bit as purple and unpleasant as the next Phaedrean. He had lilac hair that threatened to overrun his face with a jungle of wispy strands. His eyes were dark, too dark for Scion's liking, but a smile split the lilac wrinkles of his visage, and it had an energy to it that was neither dark nor hidden.

"You must be young Master Scion," he beamed. "Your essay on the desert-dwelling plants of Kronos was a mine of valuable information."

Scion's nod was brittle. That essay was the worst mistake of his life. He became "plant boy" with that essay. Someone who belonged with the flaky Phaedreans, not the proud race that called itself Ariadni.

"You will discover many more wonders during your visits with us," Lazarus told him. "There are many botanical mysteries on Phaedra that need solving. Your studies will be hands-on, so those mysteries need not wait until you have mastered your theory. You will learn and discover at the same time."

Scion couldn't help the prick of excitement growing in the pits of his mind. It was hard to squash it into submission.

"The three moons are still bright," Lazarus continued. "It is best you hibernate until the morning. Our dispersal chambers are at your disposal."

Scion jerked with shock. "You disperse your particles when you hibernate?"

Lazarus smiled. "Yes. We like to be one with the world when we hibernate. It is a most restful experience."

"I would prefer to hibernate in my physical form," Scion said. Like a normal person, he didn't add. These Phaedreans had strange ideas.

Lazarus's smile didn't fade. "Of course. It is the prevailing sentiment among your people, after all. There are many differences between us, but you will come to see that we also share countless similarities."

Scion doubted that. He wasn't a flaky Phaedrean. No matter what prickled within him, he would remain what he was, and what he was meant to be.

On the way to the High Council building where Scion was to be housed, Lazarus pointed out various
Phaedrean things that Scion was not familiar with.

"Those green flowers - they are bountiful here. But be careful when you approach them. They have curious ways of defending themselves."

"You won't see many glushnil in the city, but one or two do wander this way. We make sure to guide them back to where there is more vegetation. Do you notice that glow around it? Yes? What do you think that is?"

Scion guessed correctly - moonlight. The leaf creatures were drawing energy from the three moons. Scion wondered how they would react to his touch. They were mortals, and mortals had much to fear. Yet they didn't seem afraid of him or Lazarus, and this made him wonder more.

Phaedreans stared as he passed. They bowed to Lazarus, but paused upon seeing an Ariadni trailing behind him. There was definite disapproval in some of their expressions.

Scorn and pride swelled within Scion at the sight of them. How pathetic and weak they were, with their books and their useless talking. An Ariadni would make quick work of them.

The room Lazarus had prepared for Scion was adequate, he decided. The hibernation pod was much like those found on his own planet, and there was room to disperse whenever he felt the urge. If the Phaedrean girl hadn't burst in while he was preparing to hibernate, he might have had a peaceful night.

"You're Scion," she said, peering into his face as if he was a new plant she'd discovered. Curiosity burned in her eyes. "I've never met an Ariadni before. Your eyes are beautiful - has anyone ever told you that? I'm Amarat, by the way."

Scion didn't know quite how to handle this talkative girl. "Hello," he said, hoping he wouldn't need to say any more.

"How was your trip? It's got be a shock to you, being on Phaedra. It's pretty much the opposite of Ariadne. You're not cold, are you? Feel free to get a fire going if you are."

"No," Scion replied. What was this girl's purpose? Was she scouting out her enemy? Scion knew Lazarus had other students studying under him. Perhaps she was here to discover his weakness so she could better him when the time came.

"Lazarus is making the two of us sit with the lake specimens tomorrow," Amarat continued. "They have long, smooth leaves like fingers, and they're healthy-looking, but when you put them in pots they don't grow. They also make these weird jerking motions. There's something going on there, and we're going to find it."

There was such determination in her gaze. The determination of a warrior. She put her hands on her hips, and a cheeky grin lit up her face. "You and me, Scion? We're going to have a lot of fun."