Part 1.14

1500 YEARS AGO
PHAEDRA

Phaedrean children are born through a spark of love. It is the only way to create new energy. It is also the reason why Phaedrean births are rare.

When the spark grew within Andromeda, she embraced it with all the love she had. It was magic itself, growing within her, and she was magic to harbour it.

Andromeda's love for her husband, Demetrius, was true. He felt the same way about her. He'd hurt her, of course, several times. Betrayed her trust. But the love was true all the same.

Love was a helpless thing. He could crush her heart to powder, as he had done countless times, but she could not stop loving him.

Sometimes Andromeda thinks it was that helplessness that tainted her spark. She knew Demetrius would not change. It was not in his nature to remain faithful. It was her he loved, but she would never be enough. She was trapped, and she'd given birth to a hopeless, empty thing.

If only her love could save Pandora now. If only it could fill her with what she was missing.

But, like her love for Demetrius, it was not enough.

Pandora did not love her mother. She could not. And Andromeda was afraid of her child.

"There is no running from this," Demetrius tells her quietly. "Pandora is dangerous. If her curiosity were to tug her in such a direction, she would kill both of us."

Andromeda doesn't want to hear the truth in her husband's words. Pandora is hers. Her little spark. She will never give up on her.

She does not know what to do.