Part 1.16

"You used the dark power without meaning to?" Addy's forehead is creased with worry.

I have a headache just thinking about it. "I suddenly felt this terrible anger, and it just...happened."

Onyx is listening with his head tilted. There is a possibility, he says, that when we suppressed the Dark Witch with Bethany's pendant, it caused the First Witch's memories to become more prominent. It does look like you were harnessing the First Witch's anger when you released the dark power. But there is no need for guilt, Lily. It is not the child Pandora that you destroyed, but a plant infused with her essence.

"I can't believe her parents left her on purpose," Addy says. "Why would they do that?"

I rub my forehead. "There were other Phaedreans with them when they visited the moon with Pandora. Pandora killed them. She knew how to use the dark power."

"Sounds like she was better off left on that moon," Ruby says.

Addy bites her lip. "I don't know, Ruby. She was only a child. She couldn't have known what she was doing. If she'd just had the right kind of help, she could have been saved."

I wish I'd saved Pandora, even if what I was dealing with was only a plant with her memories embedded in it. Instead, I'd used the dark power and destroyed everything that was left of her.

Maya takes a sip of her cherry tea. "If I haven't said it before, thank you Lily. You saved me back there. It's scary to think that I didn't even know I was trapped. I honestly thought I was just glad to get away from the pressure for a bit. Even though we knew people were trapped in Naemar, I never believed it was happening to me."

Thanks to the events of last night, people are no longer trapped in Naemar. They were astonished to wake up and find Ignatius, the tree they'd worshipped their whole life, gone. Some felt it was time to leave Naemar. Others felt that it was their home, and decided to stay.

Owen isn't sure what he's going to do. He doesn't feel Pandora's tug anymore, but he's enjoyed his time in Naemar. Even with Ignatius gone, the village is beautiful and sea-scented. He's going to stay with Talia in Zilitron until he figures it out.

Talia's delighted. I told her I'd neutralised the curse, though I didn't mention Pandora. The villagers believe Ignatius had finally found his home with the Light One, and have accepted his disappearance with both sadness and joy.

"How are you going to spin this for Big Boss?" Ruby asks.

I shrug. "Ignatius was cursed. I neutralised the curse. End of story."

"Still, it's a big thing," Maya points out. "You freed an entire village. Big Boss is going to want to know all the details."

I sigh. Of course he is. After all the drama, I just want to eat a cupcake and go to sleep, but instead I'll have to fabricate my report . That man truly is a pain.

*

The moon glows at the window, bathing Bethany's face with silver light. "Onyx still hasn't come to see me," she sighs.

"I'll talk some sense into that stupid cat," I growl. I'm going to make him see Bethany.

"It is alright, Lily. Onyx always does things in his own time."

She's right. No one can make Onyx do what he doesn't want to do. I guess I should know that by now.

Bethany's gaze sinks into the night sky. The stars are invisible due to the light from Zilitron's crystal walls.

"What are you looking at?" I enquire. "The moon?"

Bethany shakes her head. "No, Lily," she says. "I am watching for her."

I wrinkle my brow. "For who?"

Bethany's green eyes seem to absorb the night, becoming darker and dreamier. "For Mother," she answers simply. "Mother is coming."

*

END OF EPISODE ONE

(Episode Two coming up!)