Part 4.9

As I make my way back to the illyrite cave, pondering the immortality of hope, a spot of burning cold bores into my chest. The heart-shaped pendant nestled into it has been restless lately. Bethany needs me, and I her. Apart we're incomplete, but together we make a whole.

The dark power has dried up, I'm certain of it. I'm comfortable letting Bethany out of the pendant again. Despite her hazy consciousness, it will be good to have more company. Bob's great, and I'm sure Onyx is around here somewhere spying on me (probably disguised as a tree), but Bethany is unique. I can open up to Bethany in a way that I can't with others. Sharing a soul does that. It takes the barriers away.

I squeeze the pendant, making a silent promise to let her out tonight.

The shasha plant to my right wobbles.

My eyes narrow.

Is it just me, or was there not a breeze right now?

I squint at the plant. "Onyx? Is that you? Are you spying on me?"

The plant doesn't answer.

I glare at the universe for cursing me with a shapeshifting cat.

"If that's you, you're going to be in big trouble," I threaten. "I might not be able to do magic, but I can still pull weeds."

"Lily, why are you talking to a plant?"

Ruby's frowning face buzzes onto my monitor screen. Onyx is next to her.

Oh.

You thought I was that plant, didn't you? There's a superior smile in the wretched cat's voice.

"The two of you have a lot in common," I bite back. "You both just sit around, feed yourselves, and take up valuable space."

"Plants provide oxygen though," Ruby points out. "Onyx doesn't do that."

"You're right," I agree. "Onyx is actually more useless than a plant."

Onyx yawns and settles into a puddle of pillows. I feel that you and the plant are more akin, Lily. You have the same level of magical ability.

Ruby sniggers.

"Very funny," I grumble. "I thought the plant moved by itself, but I guess I imagined it. Or it could have been Bob."

"Who's Bob? Your imaginary friend?"

"Bob's real," I say. "He's a ravleet."

Ruby crosses her arms. "Prove it. Bring him on screen."

"He's not here right now."

"Imaginary," Ruby decides.

I sigh. "What do you want, Ruby?"

Ruby leans back into the fabric of her sofa. Her hair is swirled on top of her head and clipped in place with a small glittering pumpkin. A charm has turned her pupils bat-shaped. "We thought we'd check in on you," she says. "Make sure you aren't going crazy and whatnot."

"I'm fine," I say.

Says she who speaks to greenery, Onyx smirks.

A frown takes over Ruby's face. "Big Boss has been asking about you too. He's getting suspicious."

"I'm going to hand in my resignation anyway," I tell her. "I'm just stalling for Addy's sake."

"You know..." Ruby's frown grows deeper. "Big Boss is friends with your dad. What if he's been in touch and knows there's no sick relative?"

I hadn't thought of that. "It doesn't matter in the end. He won't be my boss for long."

"And yet, he's more than just the boss of Witch Doctors Inc, isn't he? He gave your dad a shard of the Orb of Ariadne. That guy isn't who he says he is."

"You're right about that," I agree. "He knows more than he's letting on. Did you find out any more about him?"

"Not really, but I'm thinking we can cash in on his friendship with your dad. I bet your dad knows loads of stuff about him. You should get in touch, ask him about his good old friend Adriel. Grill him about his childhood and schooling. Even if he's fed your dad lies, that could tell us something."

"Okay," I say. "That sounds reasonable."

"Also ask him about his behaviour on the full moon and shaving routine."

I put my head in my hands.

"There's also someone else we should track down," Ruby continues. Onyx has climbed into her lap and is giving her a dirty look for not petting him. "Get off, Onyx. I'm talking. Anyway...your dad once mentioned Big Boss had a wife."

She's right. He and his wife had no children, my dad had said. It's why he'd wanted to adopt me. "He's never mentioned a wife though. From what I know, he lives alone."

"They must have separated, which is even better for us. She'll probably jump at the chance to dish the dirt on him."

"I could get her name from my dad," I offer, silently wondering what kind of person would want to marry Big Boss.

"You do that. I'll continue my own digging, in between the All Hallows Eve stuff."

"All Hallows Eve stuff?" I repeat. "You mean Maya's party?"

"Stuff Maya's party." Ruby says. "Have you heard the stuff that's been going on? People are reporting supernatural occurrences all over Zilitron. One person had a ghost pop up in her kitchen out of nowhere. She threw an omelette at him, but it went right though. Then there's the case of the cauldron portal. The guy says he can see another world reflected in his potions. Then there's the old lady..."

But I'm not listening. My eyes have gone saucer-wide. "Ruby..." I say slowly. "Why is your bed on fire?"

"...and now there are frogs in everyone's soup - what?"

"Ruby, your bed is on fire."

I can see the flames dancing with abandon.

Ruby blinks. "Lily, what are you talking about? Nothing's on fire."

And she's right.

The flames, once as bright and clear as fire quartz, are gone.

Ruby's frown returns. "Lily, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say. "I'm just tired. I'm imagining things."

Onyx sticks his face in front of Ruby's . Imagining fire? he asks.

"Fire is a thing," I retort.

The cat's obsidian eyes linger on mine a little too long.

"Great, then it's settled." Ruby tosses what looks like a bite-sized slice of apricot cheesecake into her mouth. "Lily grills her dad, and I hunt down Big Boss's wife. Hey cat, you want to come with?"

Onyx makes a show of washing his tail. I have my own business to attend to.

"What business?" I demand.

Secret business.

Hell no. This cat has kept enough secrets. "If you don't tell me where you're going, I'll make sure you never re-enter the world of the living."

Onyx stretches, yawns, gulps down some cheesecake, and settles into a napping position. I am going, he says, to see an old friend.