Part 3.5

Ruby shows us a picture of the Laran Valley on her communications monitor. "This place is a relic," she tells us excitedly. "There are tribes here that have been isolated since the peopling of Kadrea. And do you see that creepy forest there? It's crawling with monsters."

"Monsters?" Maya questions. "In Kadrea?"

Ruby grins. "It's another reason why this place is a blast from the past. Throughout Kadrea beastkind was driven south, to Sactaphrane, but here? In this valley, tucked away from the rest of the country, some remained."

Why this girl is excited about monsters, only the Dark Witch knows. A valley crawling with monsters is not my idea of a good travel destination.

Addy takes the monitor in her hand. "It's a beautiful place, Ruby."

I study the picture on the screen. Sunburnt rock flanks a valley of dark green forests and simmering streams. It becomes obvious why people refer to it as 'where the sun makes a dent'. It looks like the sun has dug into the earth with a scorching fist, creating a canyon that still steams with its heat.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Addy asks me.

"It's beautiful," I relent.

"Speaking of beautiful things. " A mischievous smile has taken hold of Maya's face. "You look absolutely mesmerising, Addy."

Addy's wearing her button dress - a long-sleeved, figure-hugging black minidress dotted with medium-sized green buttons. Her curls are scooped up into a ponytail accentuated with a giant button, and she tops off the look with a pair of black stilettos that I'd definitely break my neck in.

Addy blushes. "Do you really think so? Do you think Marsi will like it?"

Ruby snorts. "He's not one to judge. The last time I saw him he looked like he'd been possessed by an angry chicken."

Moulting season, as Ruby so indelicately describes it, is not over.

My gaze drifts to Onyx, who's eyeing the buttons on Addy's dress with a little too much interest.

"You'd better not destroy that dress," I warn him.

There are many buttons on that dress, Onyx says. If one or two were to go missing, I am sure it would not make a difference.

"Let me rephrase: if you touch that dress, I'll turn you into cat soup."

Onyx yawns and stretches out his back legs.

Ruby continues to blab on about migration routes, interspecies interactions, and tribal conflicts. "I can't wait to explore the Laran Valley," she says with relish. "I'm going to ask them so many questions, just you wait."

"Don't ask them too many questions," Maya says nervously.

"Only ask polite questions," Addy suggests.

If Ruby hears them, she doesn't show it. "Are we going through Wolfsbane Wood? I'll need to stop there for an hour or so. I am this close to finding Big Boss's secret lair."

"Big Boss is not a werewolf," I say tiredly.

"Says you."

Whatever. Let her hunt imaginary werewolves. I'm going to focus on the real problem - a kidnapped orb that belongs to my lying cat.

Who was with us on that ship, Onyx? What happened to Phaedra? And who is out there now, waiting for us in the place where the sun makes a dent?

There's no point asking him any of this. I won't get straight answers. If I want the truth, I'll have to find it on my own. Right now that means travelling to a valley filled with monsters.

We'll be heading out tomorrow, with the arrival of the weekend. We can't exactly pass this off as a work trip, so we're squeezing it in during our own time. That should keep Big Boss off our scent too.

Our Tanerian friend Talia had shaken her head when she heard of our travel plans. "By Illyria," she'd said. "You people are always off on some adventure."

To be honest, I'd love to stay back in Zilitron with Talia, whittling away my days playing with rich people's hair, but the universe has other plans for me.

I blow a bubble of blue ice. It gets caught in a slow, soft twirl, like a sleepy ballerina. I watch as it drifts across the room, dancing itself into a whisper of mist.

When the meeting's over, I climb into my bed and pull the covers up to my chest. Something sticks to the back of my elbow. I scowl and retrieve the offender - a big green button.

Onyx pretends to be very interested in the carpet.

"We're taking this back to Addy," I growl. "You're coming, and you're going to apologise."

It is only one button, Onyx protests. The dress looks exactly the same without it.

I put the button in my pocket, grab the fluffball and teleport to the corridor outside Addy's quarters.

It is very rude to teleport someone without their permission, Onyx says.

It's very rude to steal buttons from other people's dresses, I reply telepathically.

I'm about to knock on Addy's door when I hear voices on the other side.