Part 2.2

ZILITRON
KADREA

He had better not drop feathers all over the floor, Onyx warns. If he does, I will have no choice but to play with them.

Ruby sniggers through a mouthful of cupcake. "I can't wait to see what he looks like. I bet he looks terrible."

"Addy is hoping the lamya root tea will help." Maya sits poised at the foot of my bed, exuding quiet glamour. She wears a pale yellow chiffon dress that somehow manages not to clash with her hair, with lemon earrings and diamante shoes that resemble gloves for feet.

"Just everyone shut up when they get here," I snap. "Addy's nervous about it as it is."

The past few weeks of Addy and Prince Marsi's lives have been dominated by two words: moulting season. The prince is only half griffin, but his griffin genes are becoming more prominent.

I will laugh at him privately, Onyx promises. He has distracted Adamantine enough this week. She is tired for work because of him.

I roll my eyes. "They only went out three times, cat. Thee times."

That is three times too many.

I look around for a sock to stuff in his mouth, then remember he speaks through telepathy. I focus my own thoughts until they become beads of energy, strung together like a broken necklace. I fling the necklace at Onyx, and it sinks into his mind like melted butter.

You had better behave, the energy beads say. I don't want you upsetting Addy. She likes him.

Onyx licks his paw. Your telepathy is improving, Lily. But you will never be as good as me.

I shoot an ice dart at him. He sniggers and ducks.

When Prince Marsi waltzes into the room, he doesn't look that bad. His mahogany skin has a golden tinge to it, and there's a feather peeking out of his robe sleeve, but he looks human enough to fool anyone.

Addy trots in behind him, resplendent in a charmed gown of dazzling silver. Sleeveless and with a sweetheart neckline, it hugs her frame gently. The skirt flows in torrents of silver glitter studded with magic emerald roses.

"Greetings all." Prince Marsi beams. "Miss Lily, Miss Maya." His smile falters slightly. "Ah, Miss Ruby....how lovely to see you here also..." Then he brightens. "Ah, Master Onyx!"

He strides towards the scowling cat, a grin lighting up his face. "Aren't you a handsome devil? Would you like a petting?" He laughs indulgently. "Of course you would! All cats like - arrgh!"

"ONYX!" I yell.

Addy rushes over to tend to the prince's hand. "I'm so sorry, Marsi! I'm sure it was a mistake. Onyx usually never bites."

Onyx settles into a smug loaf. I bite when the situation calls for it.

Addy considers the bead of blood dancing on Prince Marsi's fingertip. "Lily, do you have any healing potion?"

Prince Marsi, somewhat recovered from the shock, chuckles. "There is no need for that, my lady. It is but a scratch."

Maya eyes Onyx suspiciously. "Maybe we should tuck Onyx away? I think he's ready for a nap."

I am as energetic as a wild acanthine, Onyx insists.

"That's exactly what I'm worried about."

I put my hands on my hips. "When did he start talking to you?" I demand.

Maya smiles. "It was back in Naemar. He climbed up some tree branches and got stuck. Then he calmly said, 'Maya, please get me down'. I almost died of fright."