Attack on Bartley (2/2)

Cody ran at Maximus with his crowbar, while Jack and Kate shot at the German shepherd relentlessly. However, he dodged their shots and grabbed a hold of Cody by the neck before landing a hard punch directly in his face.

Kate then roared as she leapt onto Maximus, ready to strike him with her claw, only for him to land a blow right into her chest. He then suddenly grab onto the claw, and seconds later, the German shepherd ripped the large claw end off of Kate's back, leaving only a short part of the thin end left attacked to her back. And while it didn't kill her, she was left in excruciating pain.

Moments later, Maximus' soldiers fired at William, Jack, and Felix while he, Jacob, and Wendy took off running. Meanwhile, Cody was just barely able to stand up with his crowbar in hand, as he looked and saw Maximus running at him with the big end of Kate's claw in hand. Cody thought this was the end for him, but just then, he heard a clang against Maximus' armor, which curiously stopped him in his tracks.

Just then, Cody heard the start of a large machine to his left, and as he saw it's lights turning on, right when a rope suddenly swung around Maximus' head, beginning to strange him. Seconds later, the anthros shot at the giant bulldozer-like machine as it powered up and it began spinning around like it had gone haywire. And then it happened. In one swift sudden jerk, the arm was lowered down by the driver and it swung back at Maximus and the other soldiers, which knocked at least most of them unconscious.

Cody and the others looked back up at the driver who had just miraculously saved Cody's life. But as he stepped out, none could believe their eyes while some smiled out of pure relief and shock. The driver was young with black hair, some bruises and scars around his arms and face, but he was far from critical condition, in fact, it was the very one they came to save in the first place.

It was Oliver.

"Thanks for coming guys," he said.

"My gosh, it's great to see you again! What happened here though?" asked Cody. "Heard about Maximus' experimentation into a super soldier, and- OH GOD KATE!" shouted Oliver as he looked upon the severely injured Kate as Jack helped stand her up. "What happened to you, did he do this to you?" asked Oliver.

"Yeah, Max got her good, think she'll be alright though?" asked Jack. "Maybe, but that depends if we get out of here or not," said another familiar voice. William, Cody, and Oliver turned and saw Todd and the others in the group walking towards them.

"Nice to see you boys again, but we saw the military breach the building, saying they're about to light it up, so now's our time to go," said Todd. "But what about Sid and Bartley?" asked Jack as he turned to where the former was just standing, only to see no one there. "Yeah, he's long gone," said Todd.

Suddenly, a barrage of fire was heard in the hallway behind them. "Is that ours.. or theirs?" Kate asked weakly. "Sounds like both to be honest," said William.

"It sure is."

Just then, Maximus shot another bullet at the group, which only barely missed Oliver. Cody and Jack glanced over at the hallway to see some of the anthro soldiers waking up while more were coming directly towards them.

"Shit, they're coming, you guys go, we'll buy you some time, Allison, Harrison, go with them, keep them safe," said Todd. "What about you? You know you can't take on them, let alone a whole lot of them!" asked Oliver. "That doesn't matter, just get out now! Before they'll kill you too!" ordered Todd. Reluctantly, everyone booked it out of the room and towards the facility's nearest exit.

Not long after this happened, shots and explosions were thrown at both sides from each other, with death happening left and right. But while Todd's group put up a formidable fight, it ultimately wasn't enough, as the anthros were often too fast and agile. And before long, Todd was the only human survivor left and in Maximus' hands, or paws.