one

~

"pretty" Taehyung whispered, giggling up at the fairy lights his father had recently hung.

He held his toes and gazed up at them from his bed with wide doey eyes. But the twinkling glow could only do so much to distract the tiny boy from his sadness.

He wiped away the tears that were slowly drying on his cheeks as the anxiety settled in that he was now officially living alone.

The university accommodation room was small. A box even. But Taehyung didn't mind, it had everything he needed and easily assisted his below average height and small exterior for an 18 year old.

It had only been 10 minutes since Taehyung's parents had kissed him goodbye after helping to unpack his boxes. But his heart was calling out for them.

Taehyung didn't want to live alone. He knew he wouldn't be able too. Most days he's too anxious to even leave his room let alone the house. He'd rather be cuddled up beneath his blankets with his favourite teddy whilst he knew his mommy was downstairs cooking and his father was in his study.

He knew he'd always be safe with them close by.

But as Taehyung's acceptance letter had come through for the prestigious university, it wasn't up for discussion with his parents on whether or not he had wanted to move to Seoul all the way from Daegu.

So, as the blonde's mother had kissed his forehead and his father had quite harshly patted his shoulder, Taehyung was left alone. Completely.

He tried to distract his wondering thoughts as he stared around the room. The bed was comfy and it had his favourite teddy on. A large floppy bear that was the size of his torso. Nugget.

And his mommy had even let him bring Nugget's favourite blanket, which was really Taehyung's favourite.

The little boy held the hem of the oversized jumper he had on, it just reaching the middle of his thighs and he took in a shaky breath. His bare legs were feeling a bit cold in the un heated room. He had yet to figure out how to turn the radiator on.

"come on, tae. you got this!" he whispered to himself, wiping away his tears and getting to his feet.

His bare toes tickled on the soft rug and he giggled lightly at the feeling.

Taehyung had an awful habit of sucking his thumb when he was anxious or scared. His mommy said it was unhygienic and his father said it was childish. That an 18 year old shouldn't be doing such a thing.

But it had always comforted the younger.

And Taehyung found himself smiling around his thumb at the sudden thought, his parents weren't here to tell him off for sucking his thumb. So the boy could find peace in the action.

Taehyung brought himself into a crouch position, back against the bed as he mindlessly sucked his thumb. Free hand running through the fibres of the soft carpet when there was suddenly a knock at his bedroom door.

Taehyung was startled, his mind had started to wonder off into a comforting headspace and to be thrown out of it so suddenly was jarring.

The boy spat his thumb out and shuffled to his feet, running over and pouting when he realised he was too short to stare through to peep hole.