024: penny for your thoughts

VERONA
— chapter twenty four

CHARLES' APARTMENT
monte carlo, monaco

MAX AND VERONA WALKED UP THE STAIRS TO CHARLES' PLACE. both were dressed casually to enjoy a chill night with some friends.

verona, however, was not chill. she couldn't help but feel incredibly guilty.

———

"verona!" the blonde turned to see kelly approaching. the older woman looked concerned.

verona was just about to head out to the car where max was waiting for her to go on their date night.

"hey, what's up?"

"i know this may not be my business, i didn't want to bring it up earlier, but i think you should know." verona furrowed her brows.

"kels, what is it?"

the brunette woman sighed, "is there something going on between you and charles?"

verona groaned, "no, kelly, why does everyone think that? we're just friends!"

"no no, ve, i don't think that. i know you two are friends, that's what i've been telling max."

"max?"

"yeah..." kelly hesitated, "he was upset that you picked to be ferrari's guest this weekend. he's been overthinking all weekend about you and charles."

verona's heart hurt a little, she couldn't believe she had made max feel like this.

"i just thought you should know. max is very special to me and i don't like seeing him upset." the brunette stated. verona nodded.

"yeah.. thanks. i'm gonna go, max is waiting." kelly nodded.

"of course. enjoy your date."

———

verona hadn't been able to get that conversation out of her head. she stood quietly by charles' kitchen island, beer in hand, as she watched charles and max play f1 2021 with pierre.

"penny for your thoughts?" verona was brought out of her head by lando. carlos stood beside them as the trio leaned against the island.

"what? nothing."

"it's definitely not nothing." the spaniard observed, "you've been too quiet since you arrived." lando pointed at carlos in agreement.

"i've known you practically our whole lives, ron. what wrong?"

verona sighed and looked between the two men, "kelly told me max has been overthinking about my friendship with charles."

lando raised an eyebrow, knowing about verona's feelings for the monegasque, while carlos encouraged the girl to continue.

"i guess i just feel guilty.."

lando frowned and wrapped his arm around the girl pulling her into a side hug.

"well.. what's done is and max seems to be doing better. don't dwell on it to much, ronny." carlos patted the girl's back reassuringly.

verona gave the spaniard a thankful smile before shifting her gaze back to the redbull driver who was laughing away after crashing in game.

"i guess, you're right." she sighed.

typing...
we're gonna pretend this is good okay 😀😀