Chapter 2: Celebration

The Mushroom Kingdom lit the night sky with a sea of lights and fireworks. Hundreds of toads raced from one stand after another with popcorn, cotton candy, and other sweets while others gazed at the display of colorful lights above them.

"Ooooh! Ahhhhh!" One firework exploded into the shape of a green mushroom, then another into a red fire flower, and finally a brown leaf. Luigi walked with Mario and passed a few carnival games. First, a duck hunt stand, then a chimp climbing flip machine, and a soda shake-up.

"Aww, Luigi, let's try one!" Mario pulled Luigi to one of the stands, where a mustached toad spun two pop guns around.

"Step right up to the Boo Shooting Gallery! Everyone wants to shoot a Boo!"

"Ehh, ghosts!" Luigi yelped when he saw the pink specters appear with their tongues hanging out.

"We'll have a go!" Mario tossed a gold coin into the toad's little hands, and he returned the favor with his cap guns.

"And go!" Before they knew it, the pink boos came at them.

"Yaah!" Luigi closed his eyes and shot. To Mario's surprise, his little brother hit the Boo dead center and earned max points.

"Woah, Luigi." Another Boo came out, but Luigi shot them one after the other and soon took Mario's. The toad running the stand felt his mouth drop to the ground when he watched Luigi's score reach the triple digits. Before he knew it, Luigi found himself laughing as Mario handed him his gun, and the taller plumber shot every Boo in sight.

"Woah! Check it out!" A vast crowd of excited toads surrounded Luigi and gazed in wonder until he shot the last Boo.

"That's a new record!" The stand owner fell backward while Luigi's crowd cheered.

"Luigi, you can shoot Boos!" Mario smacked his brother's back, and Luigi trembled when he saw what he did.

"Yeah, I guess I can."

"Here you are!" The toad placed a giant stuffed Yoshi into Luigi's hands, almost making him fall over. He struggled to keep it upright as they continued toward the city center.

"Man, the toads really know how to throw a party." Mario laughed as he saw a few dancing in the streets.

"Yeah." Luigi grunted as he struggled to keep the enormous plushie upright. "So Mario, you and Peach are gonna, well."

"Who knows? We'll see where tonight goes. I mean, she's beautiful, smart, witty, strong, and uh, well."

"Perfect." Luigi finished and made Mario turn a little scarlet.

"I guess you could say that. But I'm just gonna do my best."

"Mario, it's gonna be fine. You're the greatest there ever was." Luigi huffed and grunted under the Yoshi's strain.

"Here, let me help you." Mario took the Yoshi from Luigi moments before a familiar voice overtook the music.

"Out of the way! Princess Peach is coming through!" Toad now wore a black suit and shades as he waved his frying pan around. Peach came up behind him and shook her head with a playful smile.

"Mario, been busy at the game stands, I see?" She chuckled when her eyes lingered on the giant Yoshi.

"Actually, Luigi won this. You should have seen him at the Boo shooting gallery."

"Oh, Mario, you should have just ran with it!" Toad scolded Mario before Peach patted his head.

"I admire your honesty, Mario. So you're a Boo exterminator now, Luigi?"