Chapter 4: The Chaos Heart

"And this is a new type of power-up we've been working on. The penguin suit!" Peach gestured to a toad who donned the suit and slid on his belly across some ice he threw. Daisy tried to keep up with everything Peach showed her, and Luigi chimed in to simplify things whenever her head spun.

"You've really lived here for a year!?" Daisy muttered to Mario and Luigi.

"Of course, it's amazing here!" Mario emphasized the wonder of the Mushroom Kingdom.

"So, what exactly have you and Mario been doing here?"

"Well, you know, plumbing work, fighting Koopas."

"Koopas?" The word threw Daisy for a loop.

"Servants of King Bowser, King of the Koopas. It was our victory over them a year ago that's cause for celebration!" Despite Peach's enthusiasm, Daisy appeared as lost as a child in a maze.

"What's a Koopa?" Daisy saw all three of her new companions open their mouths, but a wave of high-pitched screams flooded the streets from every direction. When the four humans looked up at the sky, they saw what spread terror among the toads. An icy chill ran down their spines as a fleet of wooden sailing shops flew through the night sky and descended upon them.

"Mamma mia!" Mario and Luigi cried together. These ships did not have sails upon their masts but huge propellers. Each one also sported a metallic ram on their bow shaped like Bowser's head, flew his black flag, and carried a full complement of cannons.

(Recommended theme, Airship theme, Super Mario Galaxy)

Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy watched in utter terror as a barrage of cannonballs and Bullet Bills descended upon the Mushroom Kingdom. Toads and toadettes scattered before them in a panicked stampede.

"Everyone, get to the shelters! Get underground! Alert the Toad Brigade!" Despite her desperate cries, Peach could not overcome the chaos around them. "No!" Peach reached out toward a few toads who flew several feet after a house went to pieces after three Bullet Bills struck it.

"Daisy, look out!" Luigi grabbed her hand and pulled the soccer star away moments before a cannonball blew apart the section of the road where she stood.

"Ahh, thanks." Daisy wrapped both arms around Luigi who appeared ready to explode into steam.

"You're, you're welcome." Luigi stuttered. Under different circumstances, Mario and Peach might have laughed, but the attack stifled all joy. Mario and Peach followed Luigi's example saved many toads through quick and decisive action. Mario dove into a child toadette and got her away from a Bullet Bill, while Peach likewise scooped up a toad moments before a cannonball impacted.

"What's happening!? Who are these guys!?" Daisy yelped. Before they could answer, one of the airships dropped its anchor into the street and tore through pavement. Mario, Luigi, and Peach all squared up when Koopa troopas, goombas, and shy guys descended from the chain and surged into the streets.

"Those are the koopas!" Luigi tightened his fist after Bowser's minions began their rampage throughout the streets. Toads ran or found themselves struck by the troopas, which boiled the Princess and heroes.

"Nobody hurts my toads!"

"Luigi, let's-a go!"

"Right behind you, Mario! Daisy, don't worry. We've got this!"

"Hold on, what are you!?" Daisy gazed in awe and disbelief when her companions went to work on the invaders. Peach leaped up through the air and struck a shy guy with her high-heel dead in the center of his mask. The kick sent him back like a cannonball and knocked over another two. While in the air, the Princess used her dress as a parachute and floated over two more shy guys who overshot their charges. Once behind them, Peach picked up a big red beet from a destroyed shop and lobbed it at the two minions. It bounced off both shy guys and hurled them beside their dazed companions while Peach adjusted her crown.