Chapter 7: Parting of the Ways

Merriment of all kinds filled the airship's deck as a toad band fueled a marvelous dance and feast with their vibrant music. All four yoshis gorged themselves on fruit and empty Koopa shells while the toads enjoyed soup, vegetables, and pasta. A quartet raced four dishes over to the humans who sat nearby.

"Dinner's ready! Princess, your grilled cheep cheep!"

"It smells delicious, thanks!" Peach rubbed the purple toad's head which turned him scarlet.

"Princess Daisy, your cheep cheep salad." A toadette handed Daisy her bowl and the athlete poked the fish meat with a nervous smiled.

"Thanks."

"Relax, it's just fish." Peach assured her.

"Yeah, it tastes fine, we've had it plenty of times." Luigi added. His stomach growled with Mario's when the wonderous smell of fresh pasta filled their senses.

"And pasta for our Italian plumbers!" The toads placed two steaming bowls of spaghetti before the brothers. However, Mario's joy faded when he saw little mushrooms mixed in with the noodles.

"Mushrooms..."

"Yep! Our specialty!"

"Great." Mario sighed, but his empty belly forced him to down the pasta. Other toads recounted the humans deeds in the Grass Land and Desert hill in vivid detail to their companions who had been transformed during the battles.

"And then boom! Mario and Luigi blasted their way through a whole brigade of Koopas, one after the other! I've never seen anything like it!" The toads and toadettes' eyes widened with sparkles in the centers. Peach and Daisy tried to hide it, but they too lost themselves to the retelling.

"Sounds like you two had quite the time in Desert Hill."

"Ahh, they're exaggerating Peach. We just go the job done like good plumbers." Mario's humility turned Peach a little scarlet and she had to look away. "I'm more interested in how you two led a rebellion in the Grass Lands."

"We just lit the spark, the toads were fantastic." Peach assured Mario, but he doubted this was true.

"Apparently you left quite the impression on them, Daisy." Luigi grinned and gestured to a few toads and toadettes who played soccer on the deck with a Koopa shell. Despite their spirit, the little men and women struggled. Even so, it warmed Daisy's heart and she reminisced on the wonderous feeling every time she played with her father.

"They're adorable."

"Aww, they got nothing on you." Luigi almost choked on his pasta. He did not intend to say the words out loud, but a rush of self-confidence after their recent victory proved too much. The compliment caught Daisy off-guard and she turned redder than Peach had. "Uhhh, I mean. You're uhh, very pretty." Luigi struggled to keep himself from shaking, but somehow the fiery enthusiasm from Desert Hill forced him to keep eye-contact with Daisy.

"Thanks." She muttered, too afraid to look his way.

"Plus, you know. Your mad soccer skills, you inspired them! You're an inspiring person!" Luigi's attempts at flirting filled Mario and Peach up with inner laughter. However, Daisy looked away to keep Luigi from seeing her bright red face. She had no idea why an Italian plumber made her stomach dance and heart flutter, but it did.

"Aww, my little bro. He's growing up." Mario rested his head on his hand but did not notice Peach lean closer.

"I can see why she likes him. He's bold, brave, resilient, and never gives up. Any girl would be lucky to have someone like that." After she finished, Mario sat up straighter and turned a little red.