Chapter 9: Ghost Ship

"Mamma mia." Luigi shivered as he, Daisy, and their Yoshis stood on the shore of the seaside colony. The Soccer Princess, likewise, felt a chill run down her spine. The seaside looked like wonderous resort towns in Hawaii and other tropical paradises she had visited throughout her life. Palm trees, white beaches, and glittering lagoons surrounded toad houses spread throughout the colony. However, the pristine paradise lay in ruin, with hundreds of toads transformed and those who remained hidden.

Yet, unlike the Grass Land or Desert Hill, they saw no minions on the warpath. Instead, an eerie silence mixed in with an ominous fog surrounded the colony and obscured much of it from sight.

"So, how long has it been dusk?" Luigi shook a little but looked beyond fearless compared to the elder toadette, who hid behind a nearby palm tree with a gaunt expression.

"Since, since, they showed up." Her little hand shook as if in a windstorm, but she indicated something in the bay. There, Luigi, Daisy, and their yoshis just made out a ship through the fog.

"One of those airships. But it's in the water now." Daisy supposed that made sense, but she inched herself closer to Luigi. "So, what now?"

"Now, we go aboard and get the wand back." Luigi took a deep sigh and straightened himself with fierce determination. He knelt down to look over his plumbing equipment while Daisy raised her eyebrow.

"Shouldn't we bring some of those power-ups?"

"Yeah, but a plumber needs their equipment too." Luigi hoisted his pack up and onto his back while Blue Yoshi nuzzled him. "Sorry, buddy, but we can't bring you along this time. There's only room for two in the boat." Blue and Yellow Yoshi whined, but Daisy nodded and petted her dinosaur.

"Please be careful. There's, there's something off about that ship." The toadette elder beseeched them as the two humans got into a canoe and rowed toward the ship. Both waved to their yoshis, who waved back. Every stroke brought them closer to the ominous vessel and hastened their heart rates.

"Luigi, how do you and Mario do it?" Daisy stuttered.

"Do what?"

"Go through this kind of thing without being scared!?" She expected him to come back with confidence. However, Daisysaw an exhausted expression form on Luigi's face.

"Mario isn't easily frightened. But the thing is, I am."

"What? But you're a hero? You fought all those koopas and other monsters. The koopalings."

"Yeah, I did, but I was still scared and am scared now. It's just who I am. The trick is working through my fear. You must understand. Don't tell me you never get nervous before a match." Luigi almost chuckled, and a renewed sense of warmth pushed back the chill in Daisy, who smiled.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Dad always said brave people are those who face their fears. If you're constantly in fear but fight anyway, that must make you even braver than your brother." Daisy's face turned a little red, and before Luigi knew what had happened, her hand rested on his. Luigi's heart raced faster, and his eyes met hers.

"Well, I've been here longer. You've adapted way better than I did. I think you're even braver." Daisy opened her mouth, but the boat shook after it hit something. The humans tumbled over when they saw the ship's hull before them. Both stared at the vessel and an open hatch before them in a nerve-wracking silence that lasted for an eternity. "Ok, we can't sit here forever." With a deep breath, Luigi climbed inside, followed by Daisy.

(Recommended soundtrack: Ghostly Galaxy Super Mario Galaxy)

The moment they set foot inside, a chill crept over Luigi and Daisy far worse than anything outside. Darkness overtook them, with only creaking wood and dripping water reaching their senses. The two shook, but Luigi's insides lit on fire when Daisy wrapped her arms around him for protection.