Chapter 5: The Grass Land

"Woah."  Red and Yellow Yoshis panted then guzzled water from a nearby stream after an arduous journey from the capital of the Mushroom Kingdom.

"That's a good Yoshi." Peach stroked her Red Yoshi's head and plucked a large berry from a nearby bush. When the yoshi saw it, he shot his big tongue out and ensnared the fruit in a single gulp.

"Yoshi!"

"Hah!" Daisy's yellow Yoshi tried to nuzzle her, but the Soccer Princess hesitated.

"Relax, Luigi was right when he told you Yoshi's are friendly. In fact, they're some of the kindest creatures around. Whose a good yoshi!" Peach scratched her yoshi's chin, and he stomped his foot. Within moments, the red creature lay on his back, foot still kicking as Peach rubbed his belly.

"Yoshi!"

"Ummm, good Yoshi." Daisy slowly stroked her yellow Yoshi's head, and she licked the athlete across her face. "Ahhh, so sticky." Daisy splashed herself with some water from the stream as Peach chuckled.

"So Daisy, what is your life like back in the human world? If you don't mind me asking." Peach tried not to sound nervous, but Daisy saw through her facade. It was clear the Princess wanted to know what other human women were like, and Daisy gave a slight smile.

"Well, for starters, I'm not like most women, Peach. I'm an athlete, you see. Meaning I play sports, soccer, professionally."

"So you're one of the only women who plays sports?" Peach looked taken aback, but Daisy laughed and shook her head.

"No, Peach, there are lots of women athletes other than me. I meant that most people, men, and women aren't athletes. I'm trying to say my life isn't very typical of humans. I think you'd do better asking Mario and Luigi."

"Oh, I have. Mario has told me so much about your world. But I'd love to hear your take on it too."

"Ok, well, I first started playing soccer with my dad. He never got to play professionally but loved the sport and always had time to play it with me after school. After a while, I got better and started to fall in love with the sport. Dad pushed me hard but never got obsessed with it. He even told me the most important thing about soccer was having fun and enjoying it." Daisy lost herself in the fond memories of playing soccer with her father, and Peach saw her enraptured expression with intrigue.

"But you are a professional, right?" Peach saw her nod and smiled. "Your dad must be proud of you." Peach regretted her words when she saw Daisy's smile fade into lament.

"He was." Her tone and silence told Peach enough, and the Princess touched her shoulder.

"He is proud of you, Daisy. I know it." She watched the athlete nod and take a deep breath.

"How did you end up here, Peach?"

"I, I don't remember. The Toads told me I wandered in through a pipe like Mario and Luigi. Since then, they raised me as their Princess. They're my family now, and I will protect them!" Peach's voice kindled into fiery determination, and Daisy now understood why Peach cared for them so much. She took a deep breath and stood to her full height.

"I'll do my best to help you, Peach. I'm not a warrior, though." Despite her lack of confidence, Peach smiled back at Daisy with assurance.

"Neither were Mario and Luigi and look at them now. It's hard to admit, but Mario has surpassed me, and there's no getting around it. Still, I'm the toads' Princess, and I will protect them, and so will you."

"Woah!" Both yoshi cheered and stood upright, refreshed and ready to ride. Peach leaped back onto hers while Daisy got on with more caution.

"Ok, be gentle!!!!" Daisy screamed when her Yoshi charged ahead, Peach's close behind. After another half-hour, the four stood on a hill overlooking what remained of a Mushroom colony. The Grass Lands rested in a valley with the tall grass dancing in the wind. Several dozen toad houses lay in ruins as hundreds of Bowser's minions ran rampant across the colony. Daisy's stomach hardened to stone at the sight, and she almost did not want to look Peach's way. However, instead of dread, fiery determination filled the Princess's expression as she tightened her fists. Both yoshis likewise pouted in anger and growled at the koopas.