Ch. 1: A New Day

An alarm clock rang as the sun had broken through the blinds of an apartment bedroom. Amity woke up and shut it off, before nudging the woman next to her.

"Luz, get up."

Luz, who was as stubborn as an ox... actually she might've actually learned that from an ox, refused to get up.

"No." Luz said with an annoyed tone.

"Don't you have an alligator show to do today?" Amity asked.

"What time is it?!" Luz asked, jolting up in bed!

Amity chuckled at Luz's instant pride in her job before she gave her a quick kiss.

"5 AM, the same time we get up everyday." Amity said, tossing Luz's uniform at her, "Come on, we need to get ready."

"Got it, then after work we can plan our wedding more." Luz said, getting her uniform shorts on.

They had been engaged for several months, shortly after Odalia was beaten and a lot has changed. Despite protest, mostly from Luz, Eda was now Luz's Stepmother.

'How mom managed to fall for Eda that fast is an enigma to me.' Luz thought, not hating the marriage but not liking it entirely, 'As long as she's happy.'

Amity got dressed and went to make breakfast, not because she's the only one that can cook anymore... but because Luz is a bad cook.

"Now, what to cook for breakfast?" Amity asked herself as she got into the kitchen, putting an apron around her body.

If Amity had the energy to, she would make some Vegetarian Jewish food, but work has been taking a toll on her. So, today's breakfast was going to be some simple Vegetarian pancakes, dairy free for Luz. Easy to make and easy to prepare perfectly.

'I still remember mom's recipe.' Amity thought, 'I should call her some time.'

That thought made Amity remember about how she's getting married soon, and she wanted her family there... all of her family.

"I still don't know about my birth family other than my crazy bitch of a birth mother."

"Then maybe Eda could help. She does have a portal between the realms." Luz said, walking into the kitchen.

"Luz, what if the rest of them are as crazy as she was?"

"Then we can ask Eda to kick their asses back through the portal and keep them out." Luz said to her. "She goes on and on about being the most powerful witch in her realm."

"I'm worried, Luz, what if I learn something that changes how I see myself?" Amity asked.

"You won't, because I'll be with you the entire time." Luz said.

Luz came up behind Amity and hugged her, making the brunette girl smile as she leaned into her fiancé's embrace.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Amity asked.

"You won my heart." Luz said to her before taking the spatula from her. "Now, how about I help with the pancakes? I can't cook but I can flip."

"You can cook... you just can't make anything edible." Amity said.

"Why don't you try and... magic it?" Luz asked, "I mean, you've been training with Eda for a few months."

"Because it would be a waste of magic. And I'm not that good to just make a delicious meal out of thin air." Amity said as she broke away from Luz to make the batter.

"Maybe not but you could do it all with just the flip of a finger. I've seen Eda do it." Luz said.

"And she's been doing magic her whole life, I just learned that I was a witch less than a year ago."

Luz conceded there as Amity had made the batter and stirred it. Eda really was a powerful witch, and it was understandable to be envious of her magically prowess, something Amity wouldn't admit but also awed at.

'I wonder if I could ask her to double the lessons?' Amity wondered as she poured the batter into the ready skillet.