Problems

"Where have you been?" Ten's dad asked with a harsh glare. Ten blinked and frowned.

"I was at Chenle's house. I told you and mom." He said.

"Why were you there?" His dad pressed.

"It was a friend's birthday. I told you both we might also be having a sleepover." Ten continued, trying his best to stay patient. His dad just looked at him for a moment.

"Follow me." He finally said, then led his son to the living room. Ten's mom was already there on the couch, looking at nothing in particular. Ten simply stood there as his dad took a seat next to his mom.

His mom sighed. She ran her fingers through her short hair, then looked at Ten.

"Where were you?" She asked.

"I was at Chenle's house; I told you both I'll be late." He reasoned.

"Why?" Her mom pushed. Ten disliked repeating himself but he took a deep breath and continued nonetheless.

"It was our friend's birthday. We threw a surprise party."

"And that is more important than the meeting you were supposed to attend last night?" His mom asked with a raised eyebrow. Ten felt his heart drop to his knees once he finally remembered what she was talking about. Ten's dad set up a time for his cousin, who is studying law, to talk to him. 8pm last night.

"I..." Ten faltered, unsure what to say. His mom shook her head, rubbing her forehead.

"I don't know what I'm doing wrong, honey," Ten's dad said, turning to look at his wife.

"It's not you, don't blame yourself." She responded back.

"I think we've been giving you too much freedom lately, son." His father said. If Ten's heart could fall any more, it just did.

"Dad..."

"I don't understand why you can't just listen to us. Alright, don't be a software engineer if you don't want to. We let you choose the times when you want to work with us to look into careers for your future-"

"What careers, dad?" Ten cut him off, eyebrows furrowed. "All you want me to do is software, law, or medicine! That's just three careers!"

"There are millions of different job opportunities in all those fields-" His mom tried to say.

"I don't care!" Ten said suddenly, taking both his parents aback. He lowered his voice and continued, "I want to be a dancer. Lucas signed a contract with some company that will make him a dancer. A... An idol. His parents agreed! Why can't I do that?!"

"Because it's not safe. There's no guarantee that you're going to get a good job." His dad said. "Just listen to us! Follow our footsteps! Your mother and I are so happy with the life we're living. We have the money to travel, we have a talented son..."

"Talented son isn't enough. You need a happy son for you to be happy." Ten said. His anger and everything else he's been holding in for a while now started to reach its tipping point. "And how do you keep your son happy? You spend time with them, right? But you both spend all your time with your work and the only time you spend with me turns into this. Ten, go into computer science. Ten, become a lawyer. Ten, do this, Ten, do that- Well, guess what?! I don't want to, and I don't need to! I want to be a dancer and that's my final decision. In case you didn't figure it out yet, this is my life. It's me who wakes up in the morning, my mental health I have to take care of, and my decisions that I take for myself. You both have already ruined your lives, so please, don't ruin mine."

Faster than lighting, Ten's dad got to his feet and stepped threateningly close to his son, raising his hand above his head.

"Honey!" Ten's mom called out as the boy flinched from instinct.