Palais-Royal

(47)

"Venus Flytrap"

★ ☆ ★

October 12, 1770

Palais-Royal, Paris

The Palais-Royal is a large mansion located right near the Louvre Palace. Since it was acquired by the Duke of Orléans, this place has been an important stronghold for the aristocracy. Even though the Duke of Orléans is still alive, this place is considered a sacred ground where even the gendarmes cannot enter without a warrant, as it is the private property of the ducal family.

Because of that, nobles and clergy who oppose the reform proposals led by Auguste often hold meetings in the Palais-Royal. Lately, especially on days like today, the Palais-Royal has turned into a gathering place where pro-Orléans nobles hold parties and spread baseless gossip about the Dauphin.

That's why the Palais Royal has become particularly lively, resembling a festive celebration. And for good reason.

A dream-like development has occurred for the Duke of Orléans and Philippe II.

"Plans to halt the reforms of the Dauphin and push through proposals favorable to the nobles and clergy."

Even though the date has changed, there are still many lights illuminating the mansion, indicating that the parties are ongoing.

"Bwahahahahaha!!! Delightful!!! Delightful!!! So, that monk was nothing more than a smooth talker after all!!!"

Philippe II had obtained the 'reform proposal' with the Dauphin's signature from his subordinate, Baron Patrick. He was confident of victory after thoroughly reading the reform proposal and finding it advantageous for the major nobles and clergy, including himself.

"But tonight, the wine is exquisite!!! Have you ever tasted such fine wine before!?"

"Oh my, this too is a celebration in honor of Monsieur Philippe II."

"Hahaha, Baron Patrick, you have quite a way with words! Well then, shall we have another drink?"

"Yes, I gratefully accept."

"You all, drink more! Tonight, it's a free-for-all!!! Enjoy as much wine and women as you like!!!"

"""Cheers!!!!!"""

Philippe II opened a bottle of champagne with gusto and shared it with Baron Patrick and his entourage. He was in the highest spirits he has been in lately, even offering drinks to the guards securing the room. For those who are not satisfied with just alcohol, the high-class courtesans brought by Baron Patrick, known as De Coup, will entertain them during the night. Even though Philippe II has a penchant for debauchery, it is rare for him to involve others to this extent and engage in such revelry within the mansion under the official sanction of the Duke of Orléans.

The Duke of Orléans has heard about Philippe II's discovery of something that can hinder the reform proposal, and it is likely that copies of this reform proposal will circulate among influential figures in France by tomorrow. However, Philippe II, having obtained the reform proposal, still kept it in his possession, saying that it was not too late even after the banquet ended. The reason is that he was concerned someone might go outside the mansion and spread the word.

Currently, a large part of French society supports the reformist faction led by Auguste, and their influence is growing. However, some nobles and clergy take a stance opposing the reforms for the sake of their own monopolistic interests. Perhaps fearing the presence of spies, they are diligently checking if any noble leaves the mansion.