Throbbing

(72)

"High Court of Justice!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post because I am going to get serious today.

☆ ☆ ☆

(Changing the title of the story to a more upbeat one) Isn't that wrong~?

I, Louis XVI, who momentarily had a pop-style flavor floating in my mind, was completely surprised. Today is March 18, 1771 Anno Domini. The weather has been unusually mild. It feels like winter has ended and the spring weather has finally arrived.

The current temperature is 11 degrees according to the mercury thermometer. It's slightly humid, perhaps because it was chilly in the morning and I took various measures against the cold, taking off my only jacket and sitting on a chair. But this is not the usual Palace of Versailles. This is the High Court established in Paris, which is equivalent to the Supreme Court in Japan, I suppose. Although it is divided into various sections, I am currently in a place where judgments are made in trials.

The trial is about whether the Orléans family is guilty of receiving multiple gold bars from England and engaging in anti-reformist activities to frame me and Antoinette... The deliberation lasted until the end of last year, and today the final judgment will be delivered. Representatives of each estate have come to the gallery to listen to the deliberation, and the trial has become a topic of constant discussion among the French people through newspapers and word of mouth.

But I really don't like this High Court organization. We are currently carrying out reforms, but we haven't completely eliminated the aristocrats who nest in the High Court yet. The reason is that there are people among the members of the High Court who are supported by the aristocracy and the clergy, so they keep delivering judgments that favor the aristocracy and the clergy.

For example, last January, they made a judgment in a murder case involving a certain noble that caused a public outcry.

In a place called Nanterre, a little away from the center of Paris, an incident occurred where a nobleman in a carriage accidentally splashed mud on an old woman and, along with his subordinates, beat her with a bag and then killed her with a sword. The gendarmerie arrested the man, but the High Court declared him innocent, stating that it was justifiable self-defense as it seemed that the old woman's subordinate appeared to be concealing a dagger.

Indeed, the old woman may have done something wrong, but still, they beat her and stabbed her with a sword after that. Clearly, it was excessive. The High Court, which rendered an innocent verdict despite the obvious intent to kill, faced heavy criticism, but they ignored it.

In short, it's an organization where people clearly show favoritism to the upper class or don't study the law enough due to the hereditary system. Unless there is clear guilt on the part of the upper class, the general principle was either innocence or confinement in the Bastille prison. By the way, it seems that in cases like coup d'état or killing superiors, the punishment was death.

Furthermore, this High Court is known for having numerous issues, and naturally, Louis XV and Louis XIV have silenced them by getting angry and making them shut up. I really think this court should be dismantled, but unfortunately, it's not that easy for various reasons.

Why?

Because the Papal States have imposed a condition of trial by the High Court as a means to invalidate the marriage between Louise Marie and Philippe II.