How About Spices?

(257)

"When the Sun Sets"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post as I'm traveling to the Cyberpunk world tomorrow.

☆ ☆ ☆

September 1, 1776

Good morning, everyone. I, Louis XVI, am the one who made the world's first steam locomotive's development and research public and caused a festival in Paris, serving as a forerunner to the world, and then put it into practice. I feel like the historical laws I learned in the history textbooks are all now messed up, but, well, I can't say anything about it in the current situation where history has been changed dramatically on a world scale due to the butterfly effect as a result of my actions being at the center of it. From a metafictional perspective, I think that when I was reborn as one of the significant figures in world history, Louis XVI, the gears of history had already derailed off course.

In historical revision novels, sometimes they write about what happened afterward, but usually a powerful backlash comes, and history is restored, or it is said to diverge into a different world... a parallel world, but in my case, I wonder if it will be the latter...

I don't know what will happen in the future, but at the very least, I'm starting to feel that it will be better than the original timeline's France because, in addition to creating the locomotive more than ten years earlier than in reality, I have come to realize the importance of allocating a budget to the field of science once again.

Since the general public presentation and test run of the steam locomotive on June 8, the French Academy of Sciences' reputation has been soaring. The possibilities of the steam engine are boundless, and large numbers of people from both within and outside the country are coming to see the steam locomotive. Furthermore, we have developed a new type of steam engine without infringing on James Watt's patented steam engine. Indeed, when you invest in the field of science, your spirits rise along with the joy of success. A light bulb icon appearing over your head and a message like "scientific power has increased" seems likely.

'After all, France's scientific prowess in the late eighteenth century is among the best in Europe... If you invest in the field of science, it will yield results in proportion to the investment... It's important for a nation to value the sciences... Are the bureaucrats and politicians at Japan's Ministry of Finance, who have been cutting costs and falling behind in basic research, listening?'

In my heart, I gradually feel that the reason my former homeland, Japan, is falling behind in the field of research in comparison to other countries is due to their reluctance to invest and their tendency to only fund research with promising outcomes. The biggest reason is the reluctance to invest in such basic research and the failure to tolerate mistakes by researchers, sticking too much to success, which results from it. As for that... well, it was a situation that was already problematic even before my reincarnation, so... I'm taking preventive measures to ensure that this era of France doesn't become like that.

However, I can't just rejoice in France's prosperity forever. Western history is entering a dangerous territory, closer to a powder keg, with the imminent ignition of a match... Finally, the conclusion of the independence war that had been ongoing in the Americas has arrived.

I've heard the breaking news for a week now, but what happened in the Americas? I'm waiting for the arrival of detailed reports, including battle reports. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the newspapers. This morning's front pages are all about the independence war and matters related to Britain.