Whereabouts of Foreign Currency

(112)

"Saint-Domingue"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post as we enter a new arc. I'm taking the helm of the story in a big way.

☆ ☆ ☆

September 14, 1771

Splash...

Whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Zubobobobobobobobobobo!!

Zuboon!

...The force of the water is quite intense.

I am perfectly calm. I'm not joking or playing with words.

When you try to represent sounds with letters, it usually ends up like this. People who thought these were onomatopoeia from adult doujinshi might be in a dire state.

Well, I'm looking at a prototype of a water-flush toilet, and it's so freaking loud. I long for a toilet with excellent quietness... where the water flows with a gentle sound. It would be unfortunate if you were having a meal right now.

Surprisingly, the king's private toilet is a water-flush type. It works by pulling a golden lever, and the water flows... similar to modern toilets found on Shinkansen and express trains.

There's a hole-like part that opens up, and everything flows away with water. However, it seems a bit wasteful for only the king, me, to use such a splendid toilet. That's why, in the Palace of Versailles, which is ahead of its time, two state-of-the-art water-flush toilets have been installed, and there are also six pit-style flush toilets already in place today.

So, I am testing this newly installed water-flush toilet. When you pull the lever, the stored water rushes around the bowl and takes everything away with it. It's larger than modern toilets and costs several times more than pit-style toilets, but it's definitely something that should be popularized for the sake of public hygiene.

In Paris, the development of the sewage system is underway, but it will still take time for the construction to be completed. The state-run waste collection and treatment company responsible for handling feces and urine reported that they are overwhelmed with requests for collection, as many households are seeking their services.

I apologize for discussing this dirty matter, but it's quite a significant problem. Already, Paris is infamous for its terrible stench, and with the added issue of feces and urine being dumped into the Seine River and pooling on the streets when it rains, the situation is severe. Once, I went incognito to Paris on a rainy day, and it wasn't just once or twice that I witnessed sewage floating on the streets due to the rain. This feces and urine problem needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

We are buying a large area on the outskirts of Paris and disposing of waste through fermentation and incineration processes. However, if we can't keep up with the pace, there are signs that the feces and urine buyback system will stumble. Therefore, it is urgently necessary to conduct research on sewage system development and filtration.

Hmm, maybe we developed the sewage system a bit too early. But since this is a problem that must be dealt with, when facing such issues, it's essential not to shoulder the burden alone but seek advice and hold meetings with others to find a solution. However, at present, the priority of such issues is still low. Another problem has emerged that requires immediate attention.

Have you heard of a place called Saint-Domingue?

If we can get one correct answer out of 100 people in a survey at Shimbashi Station, that would be a good result. Saint-Domingue is a place that belongs to what is now known as the Republic of Haiti, and it is currently a French colony. I am scheduled to have meetings with the local governor and plantation owners from Saint-Domingue.