Education

(137)

"The Archduchess"

☆ ☆ ☆

July 11, 1772

Well, I, Louis XVI, think that there might not be many people who understand the origin of the Polandball meme from foreign internet forums. Originally, it's something like an internet meme, a kind of joke that people react to if they're familiar with overseas reaction compilation sites. Because its flag resembles that of Singapore or Monaco, it might be frequently mistaken. However, Poland is indeed one of the prominent countries in Europe. So, why talk about Poland-related matters now?

In this era, there's no internet, so I'm confirming things in my mind as if recalling entries from a net encyclopedia.

"Poland is falling apart."

No, no, this search result won't do. It was supposed to be a well-known event even in HOBF. It's an event where the rate of rebellions in Poland increases, and relations worsen with other countries (randomly leading to a full-scale war with neighboring countries), but in exchange, Poland manages to keep its territory intact. It's also an event where Poland faces a choice: either keep its territory and try to gauge the reactions of other countries or lose its territory and keep an eye on the reactions of other nations. And that event is about to occur.

"The First Partition of Poland."

Historically, this is a significant event that even influenced Austria's turning point. So, while looking at maps and Antoinette, I'm checking the regions that Austria is seeking to partition based on the report. By thoroughly examining information from intelligence agencies like the Department of Land Administration and Austria, I'm making sure how it's shaping up.

"Uhh... 'The territory claimed by the Archduchy of Austria includes areas like Oświęcim (a city in southern Poland) and the Galicia region (now southwestern Ukraine), with a total population of over 2,5 million. It's the largest population among the partitioned areas.' ...Emperor Joseph II must have been quite persuasive."

"I've heard that my brother and my mother have been having more discussions lately. As a result, I think he eventually agreed to the territorial partition."

"I see, Austria's undergoing reforms too... It might be a ripple effect."

In the original timeline, while Archduchess Maria Theresa and Joseph II had Enlightenment tendencies, it's said that Joseph II pushed for the partition of Poland after conflicts due to his radical reform stance. However, it seems that they are currently implementing reforms named the "Austrian Reforms," taking inspiration from the Bourbon reforms happening in France.

In these reforms, Austria is practicing ideological changes including Enlightenment, but Archduchess Maria Theresa and Joseph II appear to be modifying their opinions and reaching agreements to make the reforms effective. The world goes around in circles, it's quite fascinating. At this rate, Poland might indeed follow the path of historical division. However, if Archduchess Maria Theresa needs Poland as part of her reforms, she might also be in favor of annexing certain regions of Poland.

'I'd like to know the reason behind Archduchess Maria Theresa's approval for the annexation of certain regions of Poland, as it's different from historical records where she opposed it.'

Currently, Joseph II holds political power in Austria, but in reality, governance is carried out through a joint rule with the Archduchess. Naturally, both Archduchess Maria Theresa and Joseph II support Enlightenment and reforms, but it seems they are struggling with stubborn nobles and clergy who refuse to comply. It seems that not only in France but also in Austria, there are not quite a few arrogant and prejudiced people who can be described as conservatives of the classical or rigid aristocratic and clerical classes.