001

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗘𝗗𝗚𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧

chapter one:new year, new hair !

chapter one:
new year, new hair !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

IN A FRENZY, Athena Blake had somehow managed to be back in front of her bathroom mirror with more hair dye and half of her hair tied up into a messy top knot.

Over the summer, she had dyed the underside of her hair pink. And by pink, she meant absolutely shocking pink. It had been nice for the summer, but she was starting her senior year tomorrow — which was still so insane to her, by the way. After the mess that the Frozen documentary caused — Athena was still not looking at her social media comments — she wanted to be more . . . muted. Or perhaps she was just freaking out. It was her last year of high school — her last year in Salt Lake City before she headed off to college for God knows what.

Hence why she was staring at the tube of dark purple hair dye on her counter.

All of the pink had been washed out of her hair, leaving her with just blonde — a blank canvas for something new. She took the tube in her hands and opened it up. There was honestly no going back now — she had already made up her mind.

"Athena?" Ricky Bowen's voice sounded, followed by a knock.

And . . . there he was. Her boy.

Ricky Bowen, in short, was the Troy to her Gabriella, the moon to her Saturn, and possibly the best thing that had happened to her. If somebody told Athena last year on her first day of junior year that Ricky Bowen would end up being her boyfriend and they would be a couple during their senior year, she would've laughed in their face. But no, it was actually real.

"Come in," Athena replied.

"Attie, baby, your mom said—" Ricky began, opening the door to the bathroom. Once he saw what was going on, he immediately stopped in his tracks with his eyes wide. "Oh my God, what happened?"

"Nothing happened," Athena answered casually. "I'm just going purple." She lifted up the bowl to her eyes and started to squeeze the tube of purple hair dye into it. "This should be enough."

"You're . . . going purple," Ricky repeated slowly.

"Yeah, don't you see the purple hair dye?"

Ricky shut the door behind him, enclosing them fully in the bathroom and making Taylor Swift's invisible string echo a little better. "You are unbelievable, and I love you."