Chapter 39

While everyone was glad to be on land, no one was thrilled for it to be volcanic.

"I'm going with Lucy and Edmund to look around. Hopefully we can find a sword here." Caspian tells me as he rests a hand on the hilt of his own sword. I glance over at my younger siblings, which both are waiting ever so patiently for my husband to join them.

"Right...I'll continue leading a search for some fresh water or any sign of vegetation. We might be in trouble if we stay here for more than a day." I reply. Caspian nods before lifting one of my hands up and placing a kiss on my knuckles.

"We'll be back soon." He says gently before hurrying to get up the rocky terrain to where Lucy and Edmund had been waiting for him.

"The lot of you need to split up into pairs to search with one basket each. Don't search any farther inland than twenty meters. We don't know what might be on this island, so I don't want anyone to get hurt." I say as I turn to the crew that came to shore to help forage for water and food. "Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, Your Majesty." They all respond.

"Um...Emily? What about me? What do I do?" Eustace asks nervously. I turn to my cousin and let out a small sigh.

"Stay with the boats. You're rather good at relaying information in a timely manner. If anyone comes back before me and gives you important information, find me as soon as you can." I tell him, trying my best to make sure he doesn't know that pretty much everyone here thinks he's useless.

"Right! Right, I can do that." He reassures me. I give him a worried look as I grab the last basket.

"Okay. Just wait right here and watch the boats." I say, which he nods as I point at the spot he's standing on. "I won't be long."

"No need to worry! I have this under control!" He calls after me once I've gotten far enough away. I go up my own way, straying from any direction I've seen others go in. It's better this way for me to find other resources. There's a few root vegetables here and there, but I've found no water, nor have I seen any fruit or creatures to get meat from. Bloody volcanic island...

"Emily..." I hear a sickeningly sweet voice coo to me in the distance. I glance up at the direction it came from, only to disregard it as I don't see anyone. I pick the basket up as I get back on my feet, continuing my search for food and water. And while I've gotten used to seeing a few flakes of volcanic ash falling from the sky, it becomes more than just a little unsettling when it begins to look like snow. In fact...all of the ground around me looks to be covered in snow. And yet I found no water?

"Emily...surely you haven't forgot..." The voice returns from behind me. I gasp and pull out my sword as I turn to face it. No...she's dead. I made sure of it. But here she is right in front of me...the White Witch.

"You thought I wouldn't come back?" Jadis scoffs as she paces in front of me slowly. "We have unfinished business, and you owe me double for what you've done to me. One drop of Adam's blood...remember? Well, now it's two. So where is Edmund, and where is Peter?"

"This isn't real. You're dead." I seethe as I keep my sword pointed at her.

"You really think a silly little girl like yourself was ever capable of killing me?" She laughs as I stand up.

"I did...and I'll do it again." I reply, shifting my stance subtly. She narrows her eyes at me before taking her own swords out.

"Stupid child." She says before attacking me. I may have been the one to kill her...but I truly don't think I could have managed if Edmund and Peter hadn't taken care of her magic wand and weakened her before I got there. I've had years of experience and training since then, and she's still tossing me around as if I'm not an adult who definitely weighs to be the amount of two of her in muscle alone. I'm quite literally thrown to the ground three times, and as I get up to continue after the third, she hits me in the face with the hilt of her sword. I hiss as pain shoots through my face and a sickening crunch rings through the air. That's a broken nose.

"Emily!" Someone shouts as I start to clash swords with Jadis relentlessly. "EMILY!"

I push myself away from Jadis and glance over my shoulder to see Lucy watching me with wide eyes.

"What's going on? Are you okay? What happened to your face?" She asks. I turn to look back at Jadis, only to see a tall, slender rock in her place. Towards the center is a bloody mark where I must have smashed my face, and on the ground I can see the green mist creeping away and the snow is also gone completely.

"Another trick." I mutter.

"Emily?" Lucy asks, grabbing my attention again. I grab my practically empty basket after sheathing my sword and make my way down the rocky hill towards her.

"What did you see?" She asks.

"The White Witch. I guess the mist tried to use her on Edmund the other night and decided to try it with me next. She wanted both him and Peter...so I, of course, decided to fight her. But, it turns out I was just getting destroyed by a rock." I huff as I continue past her towards the boats. "I didn't find much, clearly. This island is the worst."

"Well...it isn't going to get much better when you find out what happened with Caspian and Edmund when we came across a magical water source." Lucy says.

"Magical water source?" I ask as I wipe the blood away from beneath my nose with my free hand.

"Yes, well, it turned anything to gold that wasn't one of the swords that belonged to the Lords. The mist was at work, of course, but Edmund got a greedy bug in him and was willing to fight Caspian to take gold out of Narnia. I stopped them, but it was not good." She explains. I shake my head. This place is just bad news.

"Emily." Lucy says, causing me to look at her. "Before we get in sight of the boats...there's something you should know."

"And what would that be?" I ask. Lucy grimaces as she tries to keep up with me.

"Eustace got turned into a dragon after being tempted by some treasure he found."

"HE WHAT!?"

☆☆☆☆☆

Hey everyone!
If you are reading this...HIIIIII!
I'm not dead, I promise. Sorry for leaving this book for so long, I've been figuring a lot of life stuff out and finding other books I'm passionate writing for, and I just didn't want to force myself to write for Emily unless I really had true, good inspiration for her. Because you guys don't deserve to have a poorly written final however many chapters. I'm sick right now and I've been spending time on Wattpad to distract myself, so I'll be updating Emily's book quite frequently for a while here and possibly find it. I hope you guys are still here for the ride!

Yours truly

- Day♡