Chapter 3

Emily P.O.V

We stand in the train station. Mum kneels in front of Lucy to clip on her label.

"You need to keep this on dear. Okay?" Mum asks. She kisses Lucy's forehead. Lucy nods, understanding the importance of the label. She then moves onto Edmund.

"I don't want to go." Edmund says moodily. Peter glares at him.

"If dad were here we wouldn't have to go." I explain and put a hand on his shoulder gently. He shrugs it off and glares at me.

"Edmund you will listen to your sister won't you?" Mum pleads. Edmund sighs and nods.

"Good." She says. She hugs him and kisses the top of his head. She looks at Peter.

"Promise me that you will not give Emily a hard time. And help her look after the others." Mum whispers to him.

"I will Mum." Peter promises. She nods and hugs him tightly. She looks at Susan.

"Oh Susan." Mum says sadly. They hug.

"Be a big girl." Mum says softly. Susan nods and wipes a tear away. Mum looks at me. I'm standing there completely emotionless.

"Emily. Do what you always do. I'm counting on you to keep your brothers and sisters in line. Although I doubt Lucy will need any punishments. Be strong my dear. I know that you can do it." Mum says. I nod and hug her.

"Stay safe Mum. I'll keep them safe." I whisper. She releases me and looks at us with tears in her eyes.

"Alright then. Off you go." Mum says. Lucy slips her hand into mine. We make our way towards the ticket lady. Lucy stops and looks back to try to see Mum.

"It's alright. We need to stick together. Everything's going to be okay Lu." I say gently. I give her tiny hand a gentle squeeze. She squeezes her eyes shut for a few minutes. We get to the ticket lady.

"Tickets please." The lady says nicely. Peter stares at some soldiers walking by, while he is not handing her the tickets.

"Peter." Susan scolds. She yanks the tickets out of his hand and gives it to the lady. We go towards the train.

"Hey!" Edmund says bitterly.

"Get off me!" Edmund growls. "I don't want to go on the train by myself!"

"Get off!" Edmund shouts again. People keep pushing passed us to get on the train. Well how rude! I think to myself.

"Stop shouting. That's not something you do to strangers. Or anyone for that matter." I scold. He shuts up. We get on the train and go to an empty trolley. Peter and Edmund start putting the suitcases onto the shelves above. We poke our heads out the window and see our Mum. We wave to her rapidly. She smiles at us and waves back.

"Bye Mummy!" Lucy calls. I smile at Mum.

"Bye Mum!" Susan, Peter, Edmund, and I call. Soon the station isn't even visible. I take a seat by the window. Lucy walks over to me. I scoot away from the window enough so she can sir beside me.

"I spy with my little eye. Something green." I say.

"The trees?" Lucy asks with a giggle.

"You're good at this game." I say with a smile.

"Well. There are only green smudges going by. So I can only assume that they're trees." Lucy explains.

"I spy with my little eye. Something blue." Lucy says.

"The sky?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"No. Peter's eyes silly." She giggles. I smile at her. She's such a bright girl. Susan is smart, but not even to compare with the wisdom that Lucy has. Susan has an IQ of 125. Lucy, even for an eight year old, has an IQ of 110. Edmund has an IQ of 100. He's not too bright, but he's smart enough to figure out a way to open a soda can without making any noise. Peter, since he's the eldest and knows more than most, has and IQ of 132. I have an IQ of 140. It's a lot. But I need it to keep my siblings occupied with made up games that come from my mind. I'm not afraid of much either. Just losing family and friends is all I fear.

□●□●□●□●□●□

Lmao, the original IQs I had for everyone were ridiculous. Emily was like...352 or something like that. So I fixed it to be realistic. I can't believe I thought 352 was an actual IQ level when I wrote this chapter 😂

Love you my children

- Day