Chapter 37: The Care

"You did enough to control his fever," Lorena smiled weakly at Dr Esteban, Markris's doctor. He had been informed last night about Markris's situation, but he wasn't available then. He had to instruct Lorena on what to do over the phone. Seeing his temperature was almost normal now. She had done a good job.

"Well," He stood up, gently closing the medical box he brought with him that morning. "He should wake up soon."

Lorena searched his eyes as if there was something he was hiding from her. "You didn't say what is wrong with him. Is he okay?"

A small smile danced around the corner of the older man's eyes, his lips twitching too. " You care about him, don't you?"

Lorena's face scrunched, wondering why he thought this was some funny moment. She didn't know the man but didn't like how he was so carefree about such a serious issue. "Of course, I care about him."

"Good," He nodded. "Adriano is fine or will be fine. It's just stress. I reckon he has been working a lot recently?"

"Yes." She bobbed her head up and down.

"He needs to rest, then. I'll give you some medications, but he needs more rest."

Lorena sighed, her eyes moving to rest on Markris's face. He looked so pale in his unconscious state. "Thank you for coming over, doctor. I appreciate your help."

"Oh, it's nothing," He laughed. "Adriano is like a son to me. I tell him to come for regular checkups, but he never listens. You've got yourself a stubborn one, madam." He shook his head.

"That's what makes him special." She muttered, unable to tear her eyes off him.

Dr Esteban watched her watch him, and he was confident Markris was in good hands. He didn't know their dynamics yet, only that the last time he heard about their marriage, she was a runaway bride. She didn't look like she was running now. He cleared his throat, and she jerked, whipping her head to him.

"Sorry," She chuckled dryly. "I got a bit carried away for a moment."

"It's okay. You should get some rest yourself. You don't look too good either."

"Me? I'm fine." She scoffed, waving a dismissive finger.

"Are you sure?" His question confused her even more than the scrutinising gaze he sent her way. Besides her concern for Markris's health, she felt very fine.

"I am fine." She nodded.

"If you say so, then," He let his gaze linger on her momentarily before breaking into a smile. "I'll be on my way now. Call me if there's any regression, but he should be fine."

"I'll work you out." She said, still not convinced the strange doctor was not secretly crazy. She wondered why he was insistent on her not being okay when she felt very fine.

As they walked out, two men approached them from the opposite end. Lorena recognised Jorginho instantly. The man beside him, though, not so much.

"Old man Esteban!" Jorginho called out, and the older man instantly raised his head. Soon as his eyes landed on him, he broke into a smile.

"Jorge? Hermes?" His hands flew open, and the two men struggled to walk into it. Jorginho pushed Hermes aside, getting the upper hand. Hermes rolled his eyes as he watched Jorge hug him.

"You done?" He snickered.

"Yeah," Jorge moved away. "Your turn now." He gestured with his hands, a naughty laugh escaping his throat.

"So childish," Hermes whispered, hugging the doctor too.

"That's enough, man. Do you want to strangle the old man?" Jorginho said, pulling Hermes away as Doctor Esteban laughed away.