Build Up to A Wedding and Its Aftermath

One Year later

It had been a few moons since Rhaenyra's return to King's Landing, and just like in the source material, the young woman had agreed (was forced) to marry Laenor Velaryon, the wedding taking place in less than a fortnight.

Lilyanna had sighed when she thought about it, when Rhaenyra first arrived after her failed tour, she thought she could do something to change the outcome but was once again reminded of her limitations.

As a two-year-old, she could not just come out and tell Rhaenyra what to do, so when she tried to get her elder sister's attention and distract her, Rhaenyra just smiled and started playing with her for a little while before going to the feast that was being thrown for their Uncle Daemon's corresponding return to the city after years away fighting the war he and Corlys Velaryon started in the Stepstones.

Huh, Daemon Targaryen, the Rouge Prince, rider of the dragon Caraxes, is now my uncle. An uncle who wouldn't hesitate to kill me and my siblings once the Dance starts... fuck my life. She thought.

And now because of Daemon's selfishness and Rhaenyra's terrible decision making and blind trust in her uncle, the princess no longer had a choice in her husband and was now going to marry Laenor.

Granted Laenor is of Valyrian descent and the heir to Driftmark, the richest house in the realm along with having the Velaryon fleet, the realm's largest and strongest naval force at his back. Not to mention dragons, Seasmoke and Meleys are both strong enough on their own, but there is also the dragon his sister claimed, Vhagar, the oldest and strongest dragon alive. So, on paper Laenor is the best option.

But there was still the fact that Laenor was gay and was unable to give Rhaenyra children, forcing her to have bastards. I don't know why she chose Harwin Strong of all people and not another Velaryon as the father. The Velaryons are not a small family and have plenty of trueborns and bastards alike running around Driftmark, it couldn't have been that hard to find one who would father her children and keep their mouth shut. Or hell, just any black person, I know this is Westeros, but people who are darker than a sheet of paper cannot be that hard to find.

One of the reasons people supported Aegon over Rhaenyra was because she was trying to push her bastards unto the highest and most powerful seat in the realm, even the least pious would take offense to that. So, the best way to strengthen Rhaenyra's claim is if all or hell, even just most of her children are trueborn.

I don't think Rhaenyra would be the greatest ruler, she grew up as a spoiled princess who was used to getting her way and is quick to react to the smallest of slights, then there's Viserys who had never bothered to teach his daughter the art of governing even after making her his heir, leading her to make foolish political decisions, and the rest of the lords refused to see her as anything other than a little girl parading around in a space she doesn't belong in. Sexism at its finest.

But I do believe with time she can learn, at least Rhaenyra would put in the effort to better herself unlike Aegon, who has never wanted the responsibility and burdens that come with ruling. Only to be acknowledged by his absent father and his distant mother. Although there is the possibility Aegon could be different in this life, I'll just have to play my cards right and see...

As if she could hear her daughter's thoughts, Alicent strolled into the room with her usual gaggle of servants following closely behind, her expression was cold and angered. It had been a few weeks since Otto Hightower was removed from his position as Hand of the King and was replaced with Lord Lyonel Strong, and Alicent had been upset by this, but now she was furious.

I guess she found out from Cole about his and Rhaenyra's hookup.

"Hehe! Mama!" Lilyanna cried out, reaching her hands out the grab her mother when she got close. Alicent gave her a small smile as she lifted the toddler into her arms.