Making Moves

A Few Days Later

Rhaenyra Targaryen had always prided herself on being a courageous, strong willed Valyrian dragonrider, but right now, she felt like nothing but a craven. Within her mind the events of the other night continued to replay over and over, causing a mixture of embarrassment and anger to sweep over her.

And it was due to these feelings that Rhaenyra had been avoiding Alicent for the last few days, although this was proving to be a daunting task with small council meetings along with her children and her siblings wanting to do more 'family activities.'

This was not helped with Laenor's constant japes at her expense. After she returned from Alicent's chambers, Rhaenyra had told her husband what happened and since then Laenor would smirk and joke whenever he saw her purposely going out of her way to not be around the Queen for as long as possible.

"Mother, can you come to the Dragonpit with us?" Rhaenyra was taken out of her thoughts when she heard the voice of her eldest son.

"Of course, Jace. We can even leave right now." Rhaenyra replied, returning the bright smile that Jacaerys had given her.

"Yay! We can show how much better we have gotten with Arrax and Vermax!" Lucerys added as he ran to Rhaenyra's side.

"Will your uncles and aunts be joining us?" Rhaenyra asked.

"Don't worry, lady wife, you know that the Queen hasn't been to the pit in years." Laenor smirked from his place next to the fireplace.

Laenor had always assumed that Rhaenyra and Alicent's childhood friendship was far deeper and intense than most friendships between noblewomen, but it was not until he and Rhaenyra were married, and the two's relationship had severed that it became clear to him.

Whether it was because Alicent had married Viserys or Alicent's faith, or even Rhaenyra sleeping with Criston and lying about it that caused them to not come to terms with their feelings, to him Alicent was Rhaenyra's first love, not Daemon like some assumed.

Laenor knew better than anyone what it was like to love someone that you were not supposed to love, reminded of the tragedy of him and Joffrey, and he would never judge Rhaenyra for having done the same.

And while he did not care for Alicent, not after she defended Criston Cole, he would not be angry at Rhaenyra for being unable to completely leave the woman behind. It just meant that Rhaenyra would now have to suffer being the butt of his jokes, it was not often that the Princess of Dragonstone had ever embarrassed herself in such a manner and he was not going to let this opportunity slip away.

Rhaenyra glared at Laenor, but the Velaryon had the gall to wink at her, clearly enjoying Rhaenyra's fumbling.

"Aegon, Aemond, and Daeron will be. Helaena and Lilyanna said they were going to the sept with their mother." Jacaerys answered, him and his brother both unaware of what their father was actually saying.

"Then we best go get your uncles then." Rhaenyra said as she led Jacaerys and Lucerys out of her bedchambers, ignoring the sound of Laenor's laughter as he followed them.

                                              ~X~

Alicent took a deep breath once she, her daughters, and Criston entered the sept within the Red Keep.

For years, the sept had always been a sanctuary for Alicent, allowing her to escape the burden and hardships first of her mother's death, then having her father constantly loom over her, and finally being Queen.